Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #67590  by Lascivious1

I want to stock up on ammo when the money shows.
I know people say .223 and 5.56 are basically the same ammo but i want to know more.

If i buy .223 green tip at 62grain and the same in 5.56 do they perform the same?
would one do more penetration/damage " lol he said penetration" then the other?

I figure i bought this AR with 1/7 twist so i wanna punch some beast through it. just trying to figure out if it even matters which is harder on the barrel.
 #67592  by Strelok

I don't think there is a significant difference between .223 and 5.56 with the same bullet weight in regards to what will be harder on the barrel or ballistics. But there might be a difference what bullet will perform better out of your gun. I would try both to see what round is more accurate out of your barrel and that would be the determining factor for me. As a matter of fact I have both.
 #67593  by astro_wanabe

as long as your firearm is rated to handle the pressures of both cartridges I'd say go with whichever one's cheaper...
 #67595  by bmel17

1:7 will handle 55 or the heavier 62 well. I have 55 223 for plinking and sometimes use the 62 556 green tips.
 #67604  by myopicvisionary

Neither is "hard" on the barrel. The difference between 5.56mm NATO and .223 Remington mostly lies in the chamber of the firearm in question. Yes, 5.56mm brass tends to be thicker and more durable than .223 brass. But that is a minor point than won't have any bearing on the average recreational shooter. Most all ARs have barrels stamped 5.56mm, usually 1/7 or 1/9 twist rates. Yes; there are other barrel twist rates(A1s and customs), but these two are what you are going to encounter the majority of the time. Bottom line is if your barrel says 5.56mm then either round will work fine. If your barrel says .223, them stick to .223 ammo.
 #67606  by cslade454

What chamber does your rifle have? Some 5.56 NATO ammo is loaded hotter and some is loaded where the bullet will contact the lands in a SA AMI chamber(tracers mostly). The rule of thumb is you can shoot both 223 and 5.56 in a military NATO chamber(5.56). You should avoid/be prudent and careful using 5.56 NATO ammo if you have SA AMI 223 chamber. NATO 5.56 chambers have a longer throat to reduce pressure in the hotter loadings. I don't think a gun has ever blown up because NATO ammo was used in a 223 chamber alone. There is always an additional problem like a crappy bolt. 62g green tip should be NATO 5.56 not 223. PMC 55g 223 works great in almost all guns and is very affordable. It can be hard to fined though. Wolf works OK too. The one problem I have seen with wolf is cases sticking when you get the barrel really hot. So I recommend chrome chambers and that you carry a GI type steel cleaning rod with you to the range when using wolf. I have never seen wolf hurt an extractor. The steel case is very soft. So soft the rim breaks most of sometime when the cases stick. I have only seen it stick when barrels have gotten really hot. I shot some wolf this spring in three 16in M4s with iron sights and red dots at 200 yards and the wolf grouped just as good as my mass produced blasting reload which uses mixed GI brass a winchester 55g FMJ and 25 grains of AA2230 and Remington primers.
 #67607  by cslade454

OOPS. MYOP posted while i was typing. I type very slow. I agree with what he said.
 #67611  by myopicvisionary

I've seen his AR, he's good to go for either.
 #67613  by Lascivious1

myopicvisionary wrote:I've seen his AR, he's good to go for either.
yup what he said. also finally added a new piece to the puzzle. got a pair of Troy battle sites. ill post pics when i get the chance. busting azz to get on my vacation in a few days. plus waiting for a riser i ordered to put on my gas block so the sights will be flush together ;)

Opic, i lost the pic of your stand for Elk neck could you post it again?
I'm planning a few visits to the ranges this next week. plus taking a lady friend that wants to learn to shoot handguns.
Chalk it up, another hot babe with a gun lol