Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #68864  by bluedog46

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KL ... 00_s00_i00

I bought this for my stag model 2 and was trying it out today. It appears to not be able to get it sighted in for the 25 yards the range is. The range officer ( very good shot) was helping me with it and said its probably a tad too powerful as I had no problems with a scope I had on my m&p15-22.

I was just wondering if I need more help sighting the scope in or another scope. It was aiming high and left ( dead on with iron sights) and it could not be adjusted any further

thanks.

Also I was wondering how I could mount a laser or flashlight on it without having to change out the handguard that it came with.
 #68870  by cslade454

It can be very difficult to zero an AR at 25 yards. Most sights sit about 2.5 inch above the barrel on ARs. Any sight that has windage error in it will be magnified because it is so high above the bore line. Any cant in the rifle will cause a large windage error. If you zero a sight that is not perfectly aligned with the bore at 25 yards the windage can easily be off 2 feet at 100 yards. I have seen ARs with 100 or 200 yards zeros windage be off an inch or more at 25 yards because of poor bore alignment. An M4 with a military 200/50 meter zero will shot about 3 low at 25 yards. Inexpensive scopes can lack the adjustment range to be able to compensate for this. I have also seen inexpensive scope come apart on the inside when there max adjustment is reached. A scope that has .25 moa adjustments IE one click will move the POI .25 inch at 100 yards would require 4 clicks to move the POI .25 inch at 25 yards. Or 16 clicks to move the POI one inch at 25 yards. If it is off 4 inches at 25 yards you will need 64 clicks. Now 64 clicks with move your POI 16 inches at 100 yards. Any sight that has poor bore alignment windage thats off say 4 inch at 25 yards might only be off 4-6 inch at 100 yards too.
 #68873  by cslade454

There are mounts for lights and lasers that use the front sight and or barrel in front of the front sight to mount. GG & G has a very nice rail that mount to the front sight. I have one and it works great.
http://www.gggaz.com/quick-detach-slic- ... mount.html
There are also rails that mount in the cooling vents on your hand guards. They work fine for light and pistol grips as long as you don't shoot more than 100 rounds in 60 seconds.
Magpul hand guards are inexpensive($30-$40) and have a lot of mounting options. I really like mine. Of my six ARs only one has a full float hand guard full of rails. The only thing I put on my guns is a light so the GG&G or the Magpul hand guard works perfectly for me.

My favorite light is the surefire 2G model. I think they sell for about $35. My favorite mounting ring is the VTac offset. inexpensive light weight and very strong.
 #68877  by myopicvisionary

UAGs are cheap. Buy quality and spend once.
 #68878  by bluedog46

Hey anyone have a reccomendation I am all ears. The scope is for shtf. I have a vsm scope on my 15-22 that I am very happy with for target practice. The ar-15 probably wont get shot that much unless I need to.

Thanks for the advice.
 #68880  by bluedog46

Just thought of this for iron sights.

You knonw how just about all ar-15 sights ( iron) have that round rear sight you look through. I there anyway to get a rear sight that just has two prongs like you would find on say a 1911 pisotl. Seems it effects my aim.
 #68896  by bluedog46

myopicvisionary wrote:Something like this?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=5106 ... &source=CJ
Thanks man. That is exaclty what I was looking for. Did not know they made it.
 #68899  by myopicvisionary

If you can think of it, somebody's already made it.