Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #70270  by Lascivious1

Frank wrote:I second a synthetic oil or lube. For cleaning, push out the rear pin, open the gun, clean the barrel as any other gun, remove the charging handle and bolt,clean the bolt, wipe down,clean and lube the rest as you would any other gun. Midway sells an AR cleaning station for $50-60, I use one and it works very well making cleaning much easier. Complete field stripping and gas tube cleaning, are only needed occasionally, depending on the number of rounds run through the AR. After a year and a half, and over 1000 rounds, I ran a gas tube cleaner (like a long pipe cleaner) through mine, and it came out nearly clean. I would also invest in an AR cleaning rod guide, remove the charging handle and bolt, insert the guide and clean the barrel from the chamber end, Cleaning from the barrel end can damage the barrel crown, effecting accuracy. One more thought, get an Ar chamber cleaning brush and clean the chamber before inserting the rod guide. With a chrome lined barrel, you can go 200 rounds or so without barrel cleaning (according to one manufactor's instructions) same for break in. Target barrels sans chrome linings, require more frequent cleaning.
I would love to see your cleaning process of your AR15 if you could post a vid?
 #70293  by myopicvisionary

Clean the bore and chamber, wipe off the inside of the upper, disassemble and clean the bolt carrier group.
Lubricate.
Reassemble.
 #70386  by cslade454

Mil spec chrome lined barrels need very little cleaning. The military does not issue copper remover to the troops. If your rifle has a nice long range match barrel treat it like such if not just make sure you get the chamber nice and clean. The piston rings in DI guns require oil every 500 rounds or so. With mil spec guns you can get away with just putting oil in the exhaust ports on the carrier every 500. I regularly run guns well over 5000 without a cleaning by doing this. I use slip 2000 extreme weapons lube. It decrease the carbon build up on the bolt, but any gun oil will work great if you clean every 500 rounds or so. TW25b is great stuff. I love Tetra lube oil and grease. Break free is very good too. There are a lot of cleaning video on you tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g&feature=plcp They all warn not to put anything in the gas tube. The inside of gas tubes do not need cleaning. The gas key on the bolt carrier should be cleaned with those pipe cleaners that come in the kits not the gas tube.
 #70387  by cslade454

Steel case ammo will work just fine in a mil spec rifle if you don't get the gun really hot. The steel cases some time stick in hot chambers. I recommend always having a mil type steel cleaning rod with you at the range in case you sick a case in the chamber. If you shoot steel cases really make sure you get the chamber clean during maintenance.
 #70389  by viper98

I would not recommend shooting steel cased ammo out of ar's....you are free to do whatever you like but if a problem was to arise, many manufacturers will void your warranty if they discover you have used steel cased ammo....