Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #70338  by iamdude

This question may have been asked before, I have not checked all the topics in the forum, and I'm sure I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

For going to the range a doing target practice, is it better to use the ammo you intend to use, or less expensive "target" ammo?

I'm assuming the answer will be I want to use the ammo I intend to use for self defense to get use to the feel for the gun, especially if I decide to shoot +P, but I figured I'd ask the question anyway.
 #70342  by phlydude

There is nothing wrong with using cheaper FMJ ammo for range use, but you should also practice with the ammo you carry.
Knowing how your carry ammo shoots and where you POA should be is critical n ensuring you are safe and effective should you need to use it.
Also, you need to ensure your firearm "likes" it. So go have fun with the cheap stuff and practice marksmanship w/ your carry ammo.
 #70366  by HoBoJoe

If it's your first gun target rounds are a must! You need to get the mechanics down and get familiar with your firearm.

Walmart tends to be the cheapest option unless you buy in bulk online. I suggest getting a few different rounds and see what you like. 115gr/124gr from different manufacturers.

Now for carry rounds, pick any quality HP and buy a few boxes to run through your firearm to make sure it works well.
 #70371  by CorBon

If I'm shooting a carry weapon, I'll typically shoot FMJs, and finish up with blowing out my carry mag. That way I'm cycling the mag and still keeping a feel for the full-power load. But, that's only after having fed the weapon a heathy diet of that particular full-power carry load to ensure that the weapon and the load "were made for each other."
 #70377  by phlydude

I have bought the Winchester white box @ Walmart but I am regretting buying that crap. It is dirty as hell and leaves little brass flecks inside the gun. Step up and buy the Federal Champion stuff.
 #70379  by HoBoJoe

Federal is cheaper than the winchester, I just find it underpowered.
 #70380  by whatevah

they've been raising the ammo prices at the Walmart in Prices Corner, dunno about the others. Noticed the 100rd box of .40 went up $2. So, last night I put in an order with Palmetto State Armory, they're having a free shipping offer until tomorrow. :)

For training, use the cheapest that works in your gun. I avoid the Tulammo and Wolf stuff because it's sooo dirty and underpowered, but anything else should be good. If you have a semi-auto, it's important that you put a few rounds through of your carry ammo so you know it functions correctly. Some firearms have issues feeding HP ammo. For a revolver it's not a big deal, but if you're practicing with Special ammo and carry Magnum, then you should fire a few Magnums (or +P vs standard) to get used to the extra recoil.

Also, for semi-auto guns, if you carry one in the chamber and eject+reload it often (cleaning, dry fire practice, etc) then the bullet can shift within the casing and change the pressure possibly damaging the frame of the gun. So for that, you should fire the bullet normally in the chamber along with your practice ammo. This video explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6PAmKLUcbc
 #70381  by iamdude

Thanks for all the advice. I made it to the range today, and pushed another 150 rounds through the chamber. the first 100 rounds were made by Idependence, just a FMJ cheapo round. Today I used some Federal Premium American Eagle FMJ rounds that Targetmaster sells for target shooting. I like the Federal better than the Independence, plus they were cheaper, double bonus. With me being relatively new to handgun shooting, I am trying to practice as much as I can, keeping both eys open, and the blurry site picture feels unnatural to me still. I've noticed that my shots are drifting down, and I'm not entirely sure of the cause. I'm thinking I may be dipping the muzzle by "pulling" the trigger instead of a nice steady squeeze. But I don't know. I was trying to put a picture of my targets up, but I don't know how to do it in this format. I guess I'll just have to explain it. At 7 yards I'm shooting anywhere from 1/2" to 3" below the point I'm aiming for. At 10 yards I'm 2" to 5" below my point, most of the rounds are in closer to the 5" range. I guess I just need more practice. Aside from that, I bought some Hornady Critical Duty rounds to see if I like them for my self defense rounds. I'm going to try them out on my next trip.
 #70399  by HoBoJoe

Shooting low, or shooting low left? Most new shooters have recoil flinch, which equates to shots being low and left.

The way I practiced this was by firing a few rounds, flipping my safety on, and pulling the trigger a few times. This worked very well, but obviously with my Glock i'm unable to practice this way. Another way to see if this is an issue is by loading a dummy round somewhere in the magazine. When you pull the trigger and the gun does not fire you get a GOOD idea of how you're handling trigger control.

Don't sweat 2 eyes open right away, get used to the mechanics whichever way you're able to get a sight picture. Once you get the trigger/stance down start having your non-dominate eye a little open and move up from there.
 #70410  by dave_in_delaware

I have some correction targets you can download and print to take to the range. Just be sure you d/l the correct hand one (right or left). This will tell you what you might be doing wrong, based on where the hole is.

My Targets Page