Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #70494  by bluedog46

Anyone know if you can typically find these? They are not something I often hear of. I have a buddy who said he has the whole gun but the reciever and the top part of the wood on the grip. I was wonderng if it might be worth putting together.
 #70495  by viper98

Receivers are available....usually less than $100...Is it worth it????? Good condition sks is in the 3-4 range...
 #70496  by bluedog46

Pm sent
 #70498  by y0rlik

What viper said.

I don't know how involved building an SKS is, but figure the going rate for skilled labor (mechanic, gunsmith, lawyer, etc.) is $100/hr (this also covers shop overhead, etc., not just salary). You're probably looking at at least a couple hours labor, which quickly puts you in the range of a 'new' SKS. (To put things in perspective, a FAL or an AK costs a couple hundred if you send it out to a smith.)

I would just buy an assembled SKS and keep the parts as spares in case something breaks. You could also sell the parts you have to somebody else who needs what you have.
 #70499  by myopicvisionary

Why put labor or money in a SKS?
 #71542  by Dr. Eastwood

myopicvisionary wrote:Why put labor or money in a SKS?

:applause:
 #71593  by bluedog46

I ended up deciding not to do the trade on it as I am more into the .223 anyway.