Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #72181  by bluedog46

Do they make a tactical type rifle like the m&p 15-22 that is meant for younger shooters. I have a 7 year old nephew in NC that wants to learn how to shoot. I told his dad I need to get better myself before teaching, but Its good for EVERYONE to learn to shoot these days.
 #72183  by Mr.Skellington

IDK. I haven't looked for a tactical youth rifle. The reason I'm looking for a single shot rifle is so that the focus is placed on taking your time and learning to shoot well (positioning, breathing, sight adjustment, safety, etc). I would think that a semi-auto rifle with lots of bells and whistles might be a distraction from that goal.
 #72188  by bluedog46

i was more just wondering if they make one ( tactical)

The idea of technique first is a good one.
 #72191  by astro_wanabe

bluedog46 wrote:i was more just wondering if they make one ( tactical)
Wouldn't just collapsing the stock on an AR15 style 22 rifle (like the M&P15) work?
 #72192  by bluedog46

astro_wanabe wrote:
bluedog46 wrote:i was more just wondering if they make one ( tactical)
Wouldn't just collapsing the stock on an AR15 style 22 rifle (like the M&P15) work?
that wld help, but I meant a more scaled down rifle.
 #72193  by Guard_Duck

While a 15-22 is great for people to learn to shoot on, I think younger kids should start on a single shot bolt action .22. A .22 semi-auto like a 10/22 might seem like a good choice, but having a fresh round in the chamber and under the hammer after every squeeze of the trigger might be a bit much for a new shooter. At least with a single shot bolt, if there is an issue with being scared when it goes "bang" and and the new shooter panics, there's not a live round in the chamber.

You can graduate to a semi auto, but a SS bolt with really plant the seeds of safe handling and good shooting fundamentals.
 #72201  by Sodbuster

All .22's are single shot.....if you only load one round at a time.

The only problem I see with the small single shot bolt guns, is that as the child gains in experience they will lose interest in the single shot rifle and want something more "grown up".
 #72207  by rosco87

Not exactly true......I went down south and we sit down and shoot target with a single shot bolt action! Not to mention keep it clean and in good use they could teach their children with it....I mean how cool would it be if my dad was teaching me how to shoot with the gun he learned to shoot with! A few years ago my dad gave me a marlin .22 that his dad bought him! He didn't learn to shoot with that one but the thing still is clean (new composite stock) and shoots true!! I'll never get rid of that gun and hope one day to pass it in to my kid!!
 #72208  by rosco87

You could also go with a bolt action magazine fed .22
 #72210  by Mr.Skellington

Sodbuster wrote:All .22's are single shot.....if you only load one round at a time.

The only problem I see with the small single shot bolt guns, is that as the child gains in experience they will lose interest in the single shot rifle and want something more "grown up".
The single shot only has to serve its purpose while she is young and small framed. It doesn't have to be the only or last firearm she gets as a gift.

I already own many other things for her to try out as she develops her skills and maturity. Between the youth rifle and then later on my .22 pistols I should be able to keep her fully interested until she's grown enough to try some of my long guns/handguns. Plus there's no telling what additional things I may buy in the meantime :D

Actually after the last trip to the range my wife experienced first hand some of the things I had been explaining to her (but wasn't fully grasping) about the felt recoil from small lightweight revolvers vs larger heavier ones. After that experience she was very much on board with buying a new larger revolver. No more Dirty Harry jokes from her :lol: :lol: :lol: