Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #72517  by oceanrods

Finally got out to the range to break in my new CAI FAL. I have been "Jonesing" for an FAL for quite some time and decided to jumo at the chance to pick up one of the CAI FALs for $720.00. I read all the mixed reviews on CAI rifles, but have had good success with my Golani Sporter so figured I would roll the dice one more time with one of their builds. I loaded both mags with 147 grain FMJ and headed out to Omelanden. Set the target at 25 yards and squeezed the trigger. Everthing worked great and the gun was a hoot to shoot. I went through 60 rounds of 308 without any issues what so ever. This rifle was quite accurate as well. I will post pictures later of my groupings. I am actually thinking of selling a few of my other rifles to buy another FAL and add some optics and wood furniture. This is hands down one of the most fun guns I have shot, right up there with my Golani. I had a grin on my face the whole ride home :D For the price this is an awesome rifle.
 #72963  by oceanrods

Finally got some pictures of the grouping for the FAL. I also used this target for my Galil. The center grouping is the FAL, the outer top and bottom right diamonds are from grouping from my Galil at 50 yrds. The other diamond is from my Mini 14 (yes I know, based on this I need to work on zeroing this rifle in :? )

http://s6.postimage.org/7b5he2thd/target_036.jpg
http://s6.postimage.org/kgkzk6ncx/target_037.jpg
 #72967  by y0rlik

Good on you for getting into FALs. They are under-appreciated in the US and are a fine rifle.

Century guns (doesn't matter the design) are a crapshoot. When they work correctly, they can be very good bargains, but when they don't work you'll wish you had gone a different route. I've heard they keep their costs down via little or no quality control and subcontracting the builds to the lowest bidder.

I'm glad that you got a good one. The only thing I would do to it is ditch the crappy Tapco SAW stock which most people find to be a step down from the OEM stock (DSA sells a decent replacement following the original pattern, if you can get them to actually ship it to you). The handguards and SAW grip are a personal decision, though. Some people like the more vertical grip angle on the SAW grip as opposed to the more swept back angle of the original. The hangduards you have are plastic reproductions of the wooden handguards used on early versions of the FAL (most notably the T-48 rifle which was tested against the T-44/M-14 in the US Army trials to replace the M-1 Garand). Some people like them; others find the newer designs preferable. (The early wooden handguards were found to be too fragile under use and were quickly replaced with more robust designs made of plastic/fiberglass or steel.)
 #72992  by oceanrods

I have actually had good luck with the CAI rifles I have purchased (Golani Sporter and a VZ2008). I think they have gotten their act together on their QC, since the web is littered with older reviews about problems with their rifle builds. I am considering swapping out the hardware on my FAL for some wood furniture. I found a site that makes custom wood furniture for FAL and Galils, it is nice stuff but pricey. My ultimate goal is to buy another FAL and Galil and add the wood accessories ;)