Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #73307  by sanman9781

Been out of the loop a while, had always used cleaning rods...Now I see snakes and flexible cables too...Opinions? Rods at home for a full cleaning, snakes and cables when at the range or are they good for use all the time?
 #73313  by scampbell3

(this is just MY opinion)

I do use the bore snakes as well as the rod/brush/patch for cleaning. In general, I use the rod and brush for detailed cleaning (post shooting). I have a bore snake for running through the barrels after shooting at the range and before performing a detailed cleaning. I find that a bore snake after shooting make the full cleaning easier.

For times when in-between range trips, I will run a bore snake through the barrels (not the same snake as used on the range) through my firearms that are not used frequently and my EDC at least 1x per week. I also check lubrication at this time as well.

Hope this helps.

Chip
 #73417  by sanman9781

Thanks for the insight!
 #73923  by Lascivious1

I just bought a rod cleaning kit for my ar. it is a cleaning kit for .22 caliber. but i nnoticed that the hook/loop or whatever you call it to attatch a clothe to it doesnt fit in the barrel.

am i missing something? how do i suppose to run a piece of clothe downt he barrel if the loop doesnt even fit?
 #73935  by WPCatfish

Lascivious1 wrote:I just bought a rod cleaning kit for my ar. it is a cleaning kit for .22 caliber. but i nnoticed that the hook/loop or whatever you call it to attatch a clothe to it doesnt fit in the barrel.

am i missing something? how do i suppose to run a piece of clothe downt he barrel if the loop doesnt even fit?

Sounds like they put the wrong size loop in the kit. Also, I've found the .22 plastic cleaning kit parts to be a lot less durable than the larger caliber ones.