Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #74321  by Dr. Eastwood

So I decided today was the day to start teaching my oldest about gun safety. I kept it simple, placing an unloaded (double checked) revolver on the bed and calling her in to go over it. Her mind wasn't blown when she saw it, 4 year-olds these days know a lot more than we give them credit for. We went over how to deal with finding a gun (don't touch, find an adult), what a gun can do (seriously maim or kill someone, something that she noticeably understood when I rattled off what could happen if she played with it and killed her brother or sister, or any other family member), and then I asked her if she had any questions. Being a typical 4 year-old, the conversation invariably strayed off topic after that. Then I told her since I was there, she would be allowed to handle the weapon. Asked her to check and make sure the weapon wasn't loaded, showing her how to do it safely, then allowed her to hold it. She held it, gave it back, and I let her go. I plan to have more of these "encounters" to further demystify firearms to her.

But of course, before she left, she asked if she could have a pink gun one day. :roll:
 #74329  by jslacker

:applause: :applause: get her the pink gun... anything to get them more interested.
 #74333  by photog

Dr. Eastwood wrote:So I decided today was the day to start teaching my oldest about gun safety. I kept it simple, placing an unloaded (double checked) revolver on the bed and calling her in to go over it. Her mind wasn't blown when she saw it, 4 year-olds these days know a lot more than we give them credit for. We went over how to deal with finding a gun (don't touch, find an adult), what a gun can do (seriously maim or kill someone, something that she noticeably understood when I rattled off what could happen if she played with it and killed her brother or sister, or any other family member), and then I asked her if she had any questions. Being a typical 4 year-old, the conversation invariably strayed off topic after that. Then I told her since I was there, she would be allowed to handle the weapon. Asked her to check and make sure the weapon wasn't loaded, showing her how to do it safely, then allowed her to hold it. She held it, gave it back, and I let her go. I plan to have more of these "encounters" to further demystify firearms to her.

But of course, before she left, she asked if she could have a pink gun one day. :roll:

WELL DONE SIR!!! ......Just what the "Doctor" ordered.... ;) ;) ;)
 #74338  by WPCatfish

Dr. Eastwood wrote: But of course, before she left, she asked if she could have a pink gun one day. :roll:
You wouldn't get this for your daughter?

#74339  by jslacker

Id get that for myself... :P
 #74369  by cslade454

My girls watched the NRA Edd Eagle don't touch video many times. They enjoyed singing along. To satisfy there curiosity anytime they asked to see a gun I stop what I was doing and showed it to them. My daughter got her first pink gun when she was eight. Now she teaches gun safety.