Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #75254  by bluedog46

Anyone have any luck using a boresighter with a .223 to zero a scope or red dot?

I dont seem to have a problem with my .22 with the boresight, but I figure the .223 rise must jam it up. Anyone have luck with the boresight or do I just need to sacrifice a few rounds to sight in?
 #75323  by bmel17

I always bore sight first, then make adjustments with live fire afterwards. I bore sighted my Stag with an Eotech just fine.
 #75343  by bluedog46

bmel17 wrote:I always bore sight first, then make adjustments with live fire afterwards. I bore sighted my Stag with an Eotech just fine.
and the adjustments will be mostly up down right? The borsight will have the gun shooting straight?
 #75346  by bmel17

bluedog46 wrote:
bmel17 wrote:I always bore sight first, then make adjustments with live fire afterwards. I bore sighted my Stag with an Eotech just fine.
and the adjustments will be mostly up down right? The borsight will have the gun shooting straight?
Correct. It should be fairly close. I've had it where it was dead on zero and other times slightly off. Usually not much.
 #75365  by bluedog46

bmel17 wrote:
bluedog46 wrote:
Correct. It should be fairly close. I've had it where it was dead on zero and other times slightly off. Usually not much.
most likely I would be using targetmasters range which I believe is 25 yards. One former marine there was telling me that if I sight in like an inch high that will be zero for 100 yards
 #75480  by nonuser

Was not that way for me (dead on 25 skyhigh 100), better off working your way back, then come forward. Let it tell you how it will work....... No sub for a good bond
 #75514  by myopicvisionary

Generally speaking; and your results may vary, an AR-15 firing 55gr ball zeroed at 25yds will have a POI of about 6 inches high at 100yds. At around 200yds, the POI will be approximately 9 inches high. Continuing to 300 yards the POI will be about 7 inches high, with the bullet again crossing the line of sight at 375yds.

Most average AR shooters that I have helped do better if they zero their rifles with 55gr ball at 50yds. This provides a flatter trajectory to 250yds. The POI will be around 1.5 inches low at 25yds, cross the line of sight at 50yds and be approximately 1.5 inches high at 150yds. The round will cross the line of sight again at 200yds and hit about 2 inches low at 250yds.

With the exception of Service Rifle competitors, this is a better set up for most average shooters. The ability to control a 250yd perimeter without any sight or hold adjustments is very practical.
 #75515  by jslacker

You're a wise man Myopic. :applause: