Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #76860  by bluedog46

I have a colt 1911 commander and currently have hornady critical defense and the hornady custom 455 200grn xtp.

I was wondering if anyone else uses them in 1911 pistols. I had someone tell me the plus p is good and others that its not. I have the round just for a self defense situation, so I am hoping that I never have to use them. I dont want to blow a gun up though if plus p is too strong.
 #76870  by dave_in_delaware

That's something I would call/write to the gun's manufacturer and ask specifically. Especially since it might void any warranty or "standard use" clause for your gun....

I had contacted Springfield Armory re: my XD-9 subcompact and +p and +p+ ammo. They told me +p was OK but to NOT use +p+ ammo.

So, I'd talk to the manufacturer to double-check.
 #76878  by Guard_Duck

Looking at a few of Colt's manuals online, it looks like +P is ok, but will accelerate wear.

As far as specific round to use, my only advice is to use a round that your particular gun feeds reliably. For .45, I've seen people use anywhere from 165gr to 230gr, so whatever works for your gun, you can use it.
 #76881  by bluedog46

Thanks guys.

I also understand that plus P ( +p or +p+) will be labled that way. I have some hornady that is labled XTP and I was wondering if that might be the same thing?
 #76884  by Guard_Duck

XTP is just a bullet type made by Hornady, stands for eXtreme Terminal Performance. They made it for self defense. Usually, unless is says on on the box, it's not +P or +P+. You may want to check Hornady's website to see if they sell it in +P / +P+ for what you have, there should be a product number on the box.
 #76886  by y0rlik

bluedog46 wrote:Thanks guys.

I also understand that plus P ( +p or +p+) will be labled that way. I have some hornady that is labled XTP and I was wondering if that might be the same thing?
No. XTP is the name Hornady has given to the particular bullet design they are using in that box of ammo. If it is +p, it will be also have that labeled on the box somewhere, and probably with the rest of the cartridge designation (i.e., .45 ACP +p).
 #76890  by bluedog46

y0rlik wrote:
bluedog46 wrote:Thanks guys.

No. XTP is the name Hornady has given to the particular bullet design they are using in that box of ammo. If it is +p, it will be also have that labeled on the box somewhere, and probably with the rest of the cartridge designation (i.e., .45 ACP +p).
Thanks york. those feed good in the 1911 as well as critical defense.
 #76899  by myopicvisionary

My carry ammunition for my Kimber Custom II 1911 is Hornady 230gr. XTP(+P) .45ACP.
 #76909  by bluedog46

myopicvisionary wrote:My carry ammunition for my Kimber Custom II 1911 is Hornady 230gr. XTP(+P) .45ACP.
So its it like york said that your is plus P because it says it or the xtp?
 #76911  by bmel17

because it says plus p