Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #77093  by whatevah

A friend of mine has a model 10-5 with a loose hammer nose. It's causing light primer strikes in single-action mode, only hitting hard enough in double-action. I don't know revolvers very well, but it appears that there should be a rivet holding in the hammer nose? There's an empty hole that looks like something belongs there.

Anybody know of a guy in New Castle Co that could take care of this?
 #77109  by Sodbuster

The firing pin is supposed to be loose on the hammer. Also, Smith uses a hollow rivet to hold it in place. It sounds like the hammer/firing pin is fine.

Normally a revolver will misfire in double action (trigger cocking) mode before single action (hammer cocking). Are you using the correct terminology?

First thing I would check would be the strain screw located on the front of the grip frame. Be sure it is tight. Next, get some Gun Scrubber and flush out the mechanism by removing the grips and spraying in the hammer and trigger openings. It might just be gunked up.

If that doesn't cure it, then it's time to see a professional. Being downstate, I don't know anyone up that way.

Hope this helps.
 #77116  by whatevah

How loose are we talking about here? I can move it with my finger almost 3/16".

It's been around 2 months since I was with my friend shooting it, so I could be wrong about which mode was getting the light strikes. I'm quite familiar with the SA/DA terminology, though (my preferred pistol is a Beretta).

The action seemed to be smooth, but I'll borrow it the next chance I can to take it apart and give a good cleaning. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post up after I can clean it and goto the range with it.