Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #79681  by Tate

Hey guys I have a Palmetto State Armory lower with a Skeleton Stock all built ready for an upper, not sure if I wanna stick with another 5.56 rifle or go with a Blackout upper. The 300 AAC is basically a 5.56 mixed with a 7.62x39, much bigger projectile than the 5.56 but still uses AR mags and still holds 30 rounds, can use the same BCG and Upper only difference is the barel I believe. Anyone have any opinions?
 #79682  by SeanM

I have two ARs right now. Both are 5.56; one for me, one for my wife. If I ever get the money for a third, it will also be 5.56, as a "spare." Only after that one would I look for an upper in in a different caliber.

Why? My thinking was if the SHTF, 5.56 / .223 will be easier to find when scrounging than .300BLK, 6.5G, 6.8 REM, or any of the other sizes commonly used in the AR platform. Plus, if it really got bad, the military uses it, so you could hijack military supplies to restock your own.

The .300BLK is probably a superior round to the 5.56. I had an AR in 6.5G for a while, but switched that over to 5.56 because I wanted me & my wife to have the same hardware and ammo. 6.5G is vastly superior to 5.56, but I was trying to plan out for the longer haul.

Just my nickel's worth.

Sean
 #79706  by HoBoJoe

My latest build is going to be 6.8spc. The main reason I went 6.8 over 300blk was that 300's major selling point is the ability for being ran suppressed. Being that I live in DE and can't own a suppressor it ruins that aspect for me.

One very nice thing for 300blk is it uses all the same AR components as 5.56 except the barrel and muzzle device. So if you get a 300blk and don't like it simply buy a 5.56 barrel and muzzle device and swap it out. Where as 6.8 you need different barrel, muzzle device, bolt, and magazines.
 #79710  by cj45lc

SeanM wrote:I have two ARs right now. Both are 5.56; one for me, one for my wife. If I ever get the money for a third, it will also be 5.56, as a "spare." Only after that one would I look for an upper in in a different caliber.

Why? My thinking was if the SHTF, 5.56 / .223 will be easier to find when scrounging than .300BLK, 6.5G, 6.8 REM, or any of the other sizes commonly used in the AR platform. Plus, if it really got bad, the military uses it, so you could hijack military supplies to restock your own.

The .300BLK is probably a superior round to the 5.56. I had an AR in 6.5G for a while, but switched that over to 5.56 because I wanted me & my wife to have the same hardware and ammo. 6.5G is vastly superior to 5.56, but I was trying to plan out for the longer haul.

Just my nickel's worth.

Sean
+1...hard enough to find ammo for one let alone having to look for different ammo
 #79711  by cslade454

The 300 blackout is kind of for use with a suppresser. It might not ever catch on in Delaware. Ammo may be hard to find and if internet ammo sales are banned. Over penetration can be a problem. In my hood 7.62x39 and 308 are out for home defense because they can go though several of the closely spaced homes here. I have never shot a 300 blackout but I have notice that the 6.8 spc is much louder than the 5.56. This could be a problem indoors. For the man that has everything why not. If you can afford/get the ammo go for it.
 #79713  by Guard_Duck

While the .300 Blackout was designed for suppressed guns (with heavier subsonic ammo) for the SOF community, the lighter supersonic rounds works great. As far as noise, it's not that bad, on par with 5.56. Ammo is (was) getting better availability locally, and when supplies are available again, you can reload.

I build a .300 AR for deer hunting back in Minnesota, as .243 is the lower limit on caliber. Plus it is fun to shoot.