Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #80641  by DragonJames

After my last trip to ommelanden I really haven't been shooting and anytime I think of it, I can't find anywhere but Omm or Elk to shoot at, so I've been thinking of joining a private range, just not sure where to go.

Last visit to Omm left me with a REALLY bad taste in my mouth due to an over zealous RO, and the 15 minute bit is getting annoying when I'm trying to teach the girlfriend how to safely handle and fire a different variety of weapons (rifle, shotgun, pistol, black powder, ect. She's a good learner, just needs time with them at the range) and when I'm attempting to sight in older rifles that don't have the luxury of little clicky knobs for adjustments.

Elk neck, nice place, but I keep forgetting to rebuild my target stands everytime I want to go.....and they're currently in a friends garage to boot.

So this leads me to my point, what would be the "best" private range for my needs, and what's the membership joining process like for them? Along with dues and do you have to be an NRA member to join, ect.

Needs are rather simple I think:
rifle range that has a backstop that doesn't have a problem taking steel core ammo, iirc all of my 7.62x54r is steel core)

No silly 10 rd limit like ommelanden, in the future I do wish to build an AR, and I have some 15rd 1911 mags I'm itching to see if they feed correctly (snapcaps hand cycle fine, but I want a live fire test)

Ability to shoot shotshells would be nice, if not slugs at least, though I believe its usually just a question of what is used to hold the target

And last, black powder, I love shooting my 1858, but some people or places seem to be jittery about it.....I can only imagine what that RO at omm would have to say about it.....probly tell me I'm not allowed to shoot it there for some reason or another.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

James
 #80642  by Mirlen

Look into Southern Chester County Sportsmen's and Farmers Association range? If you're in Hockessin then it'd be pretty close. They're near Kennett Square/Avondale just over the border here... Not sure if they have re-opened membership yet.
 #80648  by NormH3

Brandywine is still advertising that they are not accepting new members. been that way for quite a while. It also appears that Southern Chester County is currently not accepting new members either. You really have to dig to find it.
 #80655  by DragonJames

Shows how long since I've updated my profile, no longer in hockessin, I'm in the Newark area now.

I looked into bridgeville but I can't find anything on their page about joining, sounded the best of all as far as range sizes and variety.
 #80656  by Boots

DragonJames wrote:Shows how long since I've updated my profile, no longer in hockessin, I'm in the Newark area now. ....
At least you're not in Maryland! ;)
 #80658  by DragonJames

Boots wrote:
DragonJames wrote:Shows how long since I've updated my profile, no longer in hockessin, I'm in the Newark area now. ....
At least you're not in Maryland! ;)

Oh yeah.....did that for 3 years, no thank you
 #80665  by MrCoolDale

Yeah, I had a pretty bad time at Omm two weeks ago. The RO was a real SOB. I pulled my AR out of my bag, put it together, and sat it down to start loading some magazines. The RO came over to me and asked "Is that an SBR?"

I asked him if it mattered. He told me that if it is an SBR, then he would need to see some paperwork on it. I told him that's not happening. I promptly packed my stuff up and left. I went back the next day, demanded a refund, and told them that I would NEVER be back there.

The RO has no business checking my NFA paperwork. It makes no difference in his job whether or not I have it.

So, to keep this in topic; I am also looking for a good outdoor range. Something quiet. Something with no RO's, or at least ones that mind their own business.
 #80666  by DragonJames

MrCoolDale wrote:Yeah, I had a pretty bad time at Omm two weeks ago. The RO was a real SOB. I pulled my AR out of my bag, put it together, and sat it down to start loading some magazines. The RO came over to me and asked "Is that an SBR?"

I asked him if it mattered. He told me that if it is an SBR, then he would need to see some paperwork on it. I told him that's not happening. I promptly packed my stuff up and left. I went back the next day, demanded a refund, and told them that I would NEVER be back there.

The RO has no business checking my NFA paperwork. It makes no difference in his job whether or not I have it.

So, to keep this in topic; I am also looking for a good outdoor range. Something quiet. Something with no RO's, or at least ones that mind their own business.
Kinda big guy with a beard? Attempting the lumber jack look almost?

From what I hear most private ranges are self policed or at least have ROs that only mind your business if you break the range rules.

And curiosity will kill the cat, was it an SBR? or just a minimum legal length
 #80667  by David

For information on Bridgeville membership, email Jeff Hague jeff.hague@bville-rifle-pistol.org

Its run by the same group that runs DSSA. They have indoor and outdoor ranges.