Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #81042  by TexasJay

Hey folks! Looking for suggestions for a new carry gun. I do have a few criteria and here they are:

1. Needs to be SA/DA
2. 9mm, high capacity preferred
3. Would prefer all metal
4. External safety
5. Easy to find mags/holsters etc.
6. Budget-under $1000 but would like to stay
Closer to $700
7. Reliability

Please chime in with suggestions. Please have personal experience with the weapon suggested, having shot and/or owned the firearm. Weapon will be used as a HD/PP gun. I don't really compete but would be interested in getting into competition so suggestions from that aspect would be appreciated as well. Really looking for best bang for my buck that can fill the roles of HD/personal protection and competition gun.

Edit:I already have a G19 and a SW m and p 9
 #81050  by Mr.Skellington

A Beretta 92 or the cheaper Taurus PT92 clone covers all of those factors to a 'T'.

I own a Taurus PT99 which is just a PT92 with upgraded sights. AFAIK the PT99 isn't offered anymore but the PT92 is. I have no complaints with the pistol and it served as my "bedside" gun for years before moving on to the Springfield XD. What did you want to know specifically?
 #81051  by TexasJay

I'm just looking for suggestions that would fit my criteria. I've been looking at a Beretta 92, but my friend has suggested a HK USP or a Sig P226. Ideally I could just buy one of everything but I can only afford one. My philosophy about guns is, if you can count how many you have, you don't have enough.

I just need a general purpose HD/SD gun that I could use in a competition. I need reliability, accuracy and my above stated criteria. Just looking for the gun that you would choose that fit those criteria. I don't want any "buy a .45" suggestions. I have hand problems and 9mm is the only caliber that I can shoot without my hand aching for hours after.
 #81054  by scampbell3

Sig Sauer P226...without question.

you will never be disappointed with a Sig.

Chip
 #81056  by Mr.Skellington

scampbell3 wrote:Sig Sauer P226...without question.

Chip
Between you, Ted and a number of others recommendations for the Sig I have been keeping my eye out for one myself. ;) Mainly because I prefer a traditional trigger over the passive safety triggers found on most new polymer pistols including my EDC.
 #81057  by Boots

Amen! 8-)
 #81062  by GreaseMonkey

Chip

X2, I love my P226. If you want something a little more compact for carry, go with a P229. There is no sacrifice of accuracy, at least not one I have noticed.
 #81067  by NormH3

If you don't mind used, there are plenty of S&W 5906's floating around.
 #81071  by Sodbuster

Chip
Unless you're left handed. :(

I've fired several of them over the years, a 220 as recently as yesterday. Great pistols, just awkward to run from the other side.

So, if you're not among the chosen few, they're a good choice. :D
 #81076  by TexasJay

Thanks for the responses! I have narrowed my choices to either the Beretta 92fs or the Sig P226. I'm planning a range trip to test both and see which I like better.