Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #81578  by bkcamaro12

Does anyone have a place to shoot thati dont have to join? Id like to shoot more and get to know my gun better but would like to avoid joining a range. Also anyone near newark possibly around my age (22) that open carries. I think having someone who open carries often around me on my first carry will ease my nerves and get rid of that neon sign over my head (as mentioned in other forums) lol
Thanks,
Brent
 #81580  by MrCoolDale

I can't help you very much with what range to go to. I prefer DSPC (I'm not a member, but I hope to be soon), but it's a private range. There is Targetmaster to the north (on 202 just inside PA). They don't require membership, but they do offer it. There's the added bonus that they usually have ammo in stock.

As far as Open Carrying with someone:
I live in bear and I'm only a few years from your age; I'm 25. I'd be more than happy to join you sometime for lunch, or even just a shopping trip. I won't be available at all this weekend, but I could join you sometime throughout next week (Tuesday - Friday) if your like.

I understand telling you not to worry too much about it is like telling water not to be wet, or telling my mom that it's not cold in this restaurant. I was incredibly nervous my first time... My first few months actually. It takes some getting used to, but you'll get there. I typically suggest going with someone (as you've asked), or making your first time with the whole group at one of the monthly gatherings. Baby steps is the best way. OC for a meal first, the. Work your way up to a shopping trip.

Please feel free to let me know if you'd like me to join you sometime. Also, if I haven't mentioned it yet, welcome to the forums!
 #81585  by Boots

bkcamaro12 wrote:Does anyone have a place to shoot thati dont have to join? Id like to shoot more and get to know my gun better but would like to avoid joining a range. ....
You don't actually "join", but there is a cost... Elk Neck State Forest (outdoor rifle and pistol ranges) in North East, MD is $10/day, or $50 for the whole calendar year. Everything needs to be unloaded and locked up in your trunk going to and from the range, but it's a decent place to shoot.
 #81586  by SCUBA9097

bkcamaro12 wrote:Does anyone have a place to shoot thati dont have to join? Id like to shoot more and get to know my gun better but would like to avoid joining a range. Also anyone near newark possibly around my age (22) that open carries. I think having someone who open carries often around me on my first carry will ease my nerves and get rid of that neon sign over my head (as mentioned in other forums) lol
Thanks,
Brent
Brent,

It takes a little getting used to, but that's only because you are worried that it's "wrong". Sociciety has conditioned us to feel like firearms ownership is something to be ashamed of, hidden away and never discussed. As we all know, there is no truth to this, but it keeps the sheep feeling safer with their heads in the sand.

As you venture into the world with your firearm on your hip, keep reminding yourself that you are doing nothing wrong. Repeat it over and over in your head if you must.

As you go about your business. You will find that the majority of the people you encounter won't even notice you have it on your side, unless you draw attention to it. If you do encounter an officer, the majority of them will be professional and will remain calm if you are calm as well.

If you do encounter an unprofessional attitude, remember that "on scene" isn't the time, nor the place, to battle it out. Pay attention to details (potential witnesses, store/business surveillence cameras, etc.) and take notes on the encounter as soon as you can. Save the "battle" for later in the courtroom.

Get to know as many people on this site as possible in real life. They are a great group of people and I miss having the opportunity to get together with them. Quite a few of them became extended family to me and they will take good care of ya.
 #81587  by bkcamaro12

Cool lunch would be awesome ill be free next thursday or Friday. I have been talking to my wife we will try to make it to the next meet and greet also.
 #81589  by bkcamaro12

Thanks for the tips scuba I plan to make some friends through this site. I have heard I should carry some sort of a recording device incase an issues arrises but hopefully every LEO is professional and I will do the same
 #81593  by astro_wanabe

I'm 23 and happen to live in Newark too. Nothing planned for this Saturday, pm me if you want to meet. Unfortunately I can't OC "often" due to work/college restrictions but I try to as often as is feasible.

I use the State-owned Ommelanden Hunter Education Center. They have a covered (but still open to elements) 50yd rifle/pistol range, several shotgun ranges, as well as archery & airgun ranges. You'll have to put up with the general public, but if you only shoot occasionally they're the cheapest I've found. Rifle/pistol range is $2.50/half hour, bring your own ammo & targets (no "human features" allowed). Don't remember what the other ranges cost. I think they're open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 8-3 and Wednesday they close a little later (maybe someone else remembers for sure?). You say you want to "get to know my gun better" - just curious, is it a recent aquisition? Have you fired it yet?
 #81595  by bkcamaro12

Just got the gun about 3 weeks ago its a px4 storm compact .40. This is the first hand gun I have purchased, I have shot a few other guns but this is the first one I have personally owned. I have put about 50 bullets through it but would like to get some more shooting in to learn proper technique and get better accuracy. From what I have shot I have enjoyed and would like to make OC and shooting a hobby. Would like to meet a few people that go to ranges and such and maybe get some pointers.
 #81596  by TexasJay

I'm in Wilmington but am in Newark at least every Thursday for church evening activities. 21 years old. If you want, pm me. I'm not new to OC but in Delaware I am. Feels like when I moved here I started over with my OC. Trying to get over the nervousness again.
 #81740  by WPCatfish

Boots wrote:
bkcamaro12 wrote:Does anyone have a place to shoot thati dont have to join? Id like to shoot more and get to know my gun better but would like to avoid joining a range. ....
You don't actually "join", but there is a cost... Elk Neck State Forest (outdoor rifle and pistol ranges) in North East, MD is $10/day, or $50 for the whole calendar year. Everything needs to be unloaded and locked up in your trunk going to and from the range, but it's a decent place to shoot.

I believe you need to bring a target stand too.