Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #81739  by whatevah

Went to the range today to test out my new Walther PPS (fowty cal) and decided to use my new delivery of Freedom Munitions to do it. So, I guess this is really a dual review, the gun and the ammo...

They shot great! The first mag I mixed Winchester Ranger-T ammo (165gr) and Freedom Munitions 180gr reloads. Couldn't tell the difference and the groups were fairly tight. Around a 3" group at 7 yards. 8" group at 25 yards without aiming too precisely and using the short magazine. Only shot one box, but no failures and no perceived power differences which is great for ammo coming from a production line running at maximum capacity.

As for the gun, see above... no misfires and good groups. Which is good for a subcompact single-stack .40 caliber pistol. I was getting good 3" groups at 7 yards with both magazines (one is extended to give a full-size grip). No failures at all. The trigger will take some getting used to, I got caught flinching several times when I hit what I'll call the "second stage" of the trigger. The take-up is a little heavier than my full-size Beretta, so when I hit the second stage, I'd think that the trigger was all the way back. Embarrassing. I've heard that the take-up will smooth out over time. Overall, it's accurate and control-able, I did two rapid fire mag dumps and kept all 13 rounds on target (standard IDPA) at 7 yards.

This gun is replacing a .38spl J-Frame that was my old OWB-CCW gun. While it's larger overall, it's narrower and I have a better selection of IWB holsters available, has a much stronger round and has more capacity (6+1 and 7+1 depending on mags). I'm currently using the Blackhawk generic IWB holster (size 5) but looking for a good leather holster. With the right cant and the shorter magazine, it conceals nicely at the 3 o'clock position.