Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.

What was my problem?

Your gun was dirty.
29%
It did not have enough lube.
43%
Your extractor needs to be tuned.
No votes
0%
Over pressurized ammunition.
No votes
0%
Other (with explanation)
29%
 #84899  by jslacker

cslade454 wrote:The AR should of had enough lube on it from stag to fire hundreds of rounds. You have not shot it enough to need cleaning. It is possible that some debris got into the chamber. The most common cause for your problem is the wrong gun powder was used in the ammo. As the bullet passes the gas port the pressure in the barrel is to high. The 50000psi of pressure is still forcing the brass case into the chamber walls not allowing it to be extracted. The pressure in the chamber must drop before the gas gets to the BCG. Are you using the same ammo as the first time you shot the gun?

The Stag number one uses a chrome line barrel and chamber. No breaking is required. I recommend cleaning the barrel with a good cooper remover every 1000 rounds or so.
No, different Ammo this time... I think it is of cheaper quality compared to the PMC bronze that I shot last time. I was using the Prvi Partizan Ammunition AKA: PPU. I should have just bought the Lake City ammo as it was the same price, but the limits I was able to purchase were lower. I could buy 5 boxes of the PPU compared to only 2 boxes of the Lake City ammo.

Is it that common that ammo is produced and shipped with improper loadings?

I didn't get the plus package so I do believe my barrel and chamber are not chromed line unfortunately.
 #84901  by jslacker

cahill85 wrote:Does your rifle have an adjustable gas block.
negative
 #84909  by jslacker

OK, I took whites advice and the rounds drop in and then drop free from the chamber... Looks like I only get the sticking effect after the round has been fired and the brass expands. Maybe a bad batch of ammo? I guess shooting it again will let me know... Who knows when that will be, hopefully sooner than later. :D
 #84912  by Guard_Duck

I'd still give the chamber a good cleaning before you shoot it again. If it does do it again, inspect the spent brass for any gouges/dents/scratches that may be causing the spent brass to hang in the chamber.
 #84914  by Boots

white95zj wrote:I'd still give the chamber a good cleaning before you shoot it again. ....
+1

New guns are shipped with a protective coating, not a lube. If the chamber was not properly cleaned before firing the first shot, perhaps you now have carbonized gunk in there.

When the gun is fired the brass expands tightly to the chamber walls and creates a gas seal. When the pressure drops the brass relaxes a bit and should extract easily. A hot dirty chamber can cause the case to stick in place. Clean the chamber with a chamber brush and lightly oil the chamber and bore with a good gun oil. It's good practice to run some dry patches through the bore and chamber just before the next use of the gun. Also, avoid getting the ammo oily; the rounds should be clean and dry.

Your problem is not too little lube on the BCG, the buffer weight, the gas rings, or the extractor. The only way for the case rim to be damaged like that is for the case to be stuck in the chamber.

I'm looking to a range report after your next outing.
 #84922  by cj45lc

Boots has it covered for you

Brake-Kleen with the chamber brush works wonders
 #84923  by cslade454

The Stag 2013 catalog says the number one has a 1-9 twist chrome line barrel with a 5.56 nato chamber. Next time you go to the range take some different brands of ammo to test.
 #84925  by Jonnybow

jslacker wrote:
cahill85 wrote:Does your rifle have an adjustable gas block.
negative
This was my first thought.

If it doesn't have an adjustable gas block, it's either a buffer spring issue or certainly a cleaning problem. With a new AR, it's a pretty good idea to run a patch with at least some lube through the barrel and put a little lube on the BCG after every 10-20 rounds for the first 200. If you are of the belief that you just shoot it and hope for the best, sometimes you get what you get.
AR guns like to be wet, keep em that way. Go to a shooting school and they aren't kidding when they say keep em wet with lube.
 #84964  by schmenge

I had the exact same problem with my Stag Model 8, right out of the box. I sent it back to Stag and they replaced the barrel and upper receiver. They never said exactly what was wrong, but when I got it back, it ran perfectly. Give them a call.