Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.

What was my problem?

Your gun was dirty.
29%
It did not have enough lube.
43%
Your extractor needs to be tuned.
No votes
0%
Over pressurized ammunition.
No votes
0%
Other (with explanation)
29%
 #84877  by jslacker

I wouldn't think the buffer would need replacing yet, this thing is practically brand new.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far.
 #84879  by Guard_Duck

Try this, take the upper off, and take out the BCG. Drop a round in the chamber, and then tip the barrel up. The round should just about fully seat, and then drop when you tilt the muzzle end up and chamber down.

If it doesn't, clean the chamber until it does. Once the chamber is clean, take it out and shoot it again before you start swapping parts chasing problems.
 #84882  by jslacker

white95zj wrote:Try this, take the upper off, and take out the BCG. Drop a round in the chamber, and then tip the barrel up. The round should just about fully seat, and then drop when you tilt the muzzle end up and chamber down.

If it doesn't, clean the chamber until it does. Once the chamber is clean, take it out and shoot it again before you start swapping parts chasing problems.
I will try this when I get home from work today, thanks Brent. So in theory the round should be able to fall into and drop free from the chamber under it's own weight correct?
viper98 wrote:You need to clean the chamber with a good bore brush..Probably proper break in procedures were not followed....If you don't have a good brush stop over and i'll give you one....
Admittedly, I probably didn't clean the chamber well enough after the first time I shot it. As far as "break-in procedure" I have heard so many differing opinions on this, some will say its necessary to do a list of 100 things before you shoot it and others will say to just run a patch down the barrel to make sure no debris were left behind and fire away! What is your interpretation of what should be done when breaking in an AR?
 #84883  by Guard_Duck

jslacker wrote:I will try this when I get home from work today, thanks Brent. So in theory the round should be able to fall into and drop free from the chamber under it's own weight correct?
Yes, if not, the chamber is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Or there could be a burr on the chamber, but I've only seen that once. Most likely the the chamber needs a good scrubbing.
 #84884  by cj45lc

white95zj wrote:
jslacker wrote:I will try this when I get home from work today, thanks Brent. So in theory the round should be able to fall into and drop free from the chamber under it's own weight correct?
Yes, if not, the chamber is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Or there could be a burr on the chamber, but I've only seen that once. Most likely the the chamber needs a good scrubbing.

What he said

I'm just curious here but how many rounds have you fired & have you shot any of the steel cased ammo that has that coating on it, I think they have shellac or something like that on some of them.
 #84886  by jslacker

No steel cased ammo as of yet... and I would estimate round count at only 50 or so rounds.
 #84887  by cj45lc

jslacker wrote:No steel cased ammo as of yet... and I would estimate round count at only 50 or so rounds.
Thanks for the answer, I was just curious.

Just for shits & giggles I dropped a round in my chamber & it fell right out like was suggested.

Seems like a pretty low round count for you to be having any kind of hang-up at all, hopefully the chamber brush takes care of it for you.

If you don't mind what Brand is your rifle ?
 #84888  by jslacker

cj45lc wrote: ...If you don't mind what Brand is your rifle ?
It is a Stag Model 1. Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6176
 #84889  by cj45lc

jslacker wrote:
cj45lc wrote: ...If you don't mind what Brand is your rifle ?
It is a Stag Model 1. Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6176

O K Thanks bud & good luck, hope you get her squared away

Duhhh! sorry man I remember your post & pics now, hell i even made a few dumbass comments lol
 #84898  by cslade454

The AR should of had enough lube on it from stag to fire hundreds of rounds. You have not shot it enough to need cleaning. It is possible that some debris got into the chamber. The most common cause for your problem is the wrong gun powder was used in the ammo. As the bullet passes the gas port the pressure in the barrel is to high. The 50000psi of pressure is still forcing the brass case into the chamber walls not allowing it to be extracted. The pressure in the chamber must drop before the gas gets to the BCG. Are you using the same ammo as the first time you shot the gun?

The Stag number one uses a chrome line barrel and chamber. No breaking is required. I recommend cleaning the barrel with a good cooper remover every 1000 rounds or so.