Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #84907  by DelmarDave

What do you do on a Sunday afternoon with your 14 yr old son to keep him off the Xbox? Take him shooting. We started out just letting him sight in his Savage 17HMR then ended up shooting together when I brought out mine. We had some targets set up in the side yard at 50 plus yards, some shoot and see and a small set of swinging targets. We started shooting sim shots, 2 on same target and 2 on different targets. We had our timing down at time where it only sounded like one shot and we were hitting really close together on the targets as well. We went thru about 100 rounds, had a blast, he said that it was more fun than playing Call of Duty.
 #84908  by jslacker

DelmarDave wrote:What do you do on a Sunday afternoon with your 14 yr old son to keep him off the Xbox? Take him shooting. We started out just letting him sight in his Savage 17HMR then ended up shooting together when I brought out mine. We had some targets set up in the side yard at 50 plus yards, some shoot and see and a small set of swinging targets. We started shooting sim shots, 2 on same target and 2 on different targets. We had our timing down at time where it only sounded like one shot and we were hitting really close together on the targets as well. We went thru about 100 rounds, had a blast, he said that it was more fun than playing Call of Duty.
Sounds fun! I would much prefer shooting a real gun in the great outdoors opposed to COD.
 #84924  by Kuntryboy816

DelmarDave wrote:What do you do on a Sunday afternoon with your 14 yr old son to keep him off the Xbox? Take him shooting. We started out just letting him sight in his Savage 17HMR then ended up shooting together when I brought out mine. We had some targets set up in the side yard at 50 plus yards, some shoot and see and a small set of swinging targets. We started shooting sim shots, 2 on same target and 2 on different targets. We had our timing down at time where it only sounded like one shot and we were hitting really close together on the targets as well. We went thru about 100 rounds, had a blast, he said that it was more fun than playing Call of Duty.
Awesome story. Get a few of the zombie splatter targets for some World War Z training! :lol: I can't wait to take my boys out for their first shoot.
 #84960  by DelmarDave

I have seen the zombie splatter targets. Gander has the dog ones is all they have. I would like to get some more action targets too. My son suggested the ball or cube targets. Red Stitch Tactical has some nice targets too but kinda pricey.
 #84969  by Kuntryboy816

DelmarDave wrote:I have seen the zombie splatter targets. Gander has the dog ones is all they have. I would like to get some more action targets too. My son suggested the ball or cube targets. Red Stitch Tactical has some nice targets too but kinda pricey.
Check out some of the major retailers online stores like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Walmart, etc. Usually they're more available online than in the stores.

Last time I went to Cabela's in PA, I talked with one of the store reps for a few minutes about those orange/red targets. It seemed to me that they would not hold up to anything more powerful than an air/bb gun. He told me that he's shot them with everything from a 30.06, 7mm to .22 and 17HMR. He said that the material is a self-annealing (?) material and that they're incredibly durable. He still has the orignal 2 that he bought. :shrug: I'd like to have an action target or two as well.
 #84972  by cj45lc

I put on of those self-annealing orange spinner targets up for my grand daughter & she has a blast shooting it, hell I do too. Now when she goes to shoot at it she looks over & says "aren't you gonna tell me ?" so I have to say "make it dance Fuzz" That thing has probably been hit over two or three thousand times with a .22 & it is still going strong.

Sounds like you had a great afternoon with your son
 #84981  by Kuntryboy816

cj45lc wrote:I put on of those self-annealing orange spinner targets up for my grand daughter & she has a blast shooting it, hell I do too. Now when she goes to shoot at it she looks over & says "aren't you gonna tell me ?" so I have to say "make it dance Fuzz" That thing has probably been hit over two or three thousand times with a .22 & it is still going strong.

That's awesome!
 #84985  by cj45lc

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
cj45lc wrote:I put on of those self-annealing orange spinner targets up for my grand daughter & she has a blast shooting it, hell I do too. Now when she goes to shoot at it she looks over & says "aren't you gonna tell me ?" so I have to say "make it dance Fuzz" That thing has probably been hit over two or three thousand times with a .22 & it is still going strong.

That's awesome!

Thanks man, we have a blast
 #84998  by DelmarDave

Cool, I will have to get some soon. I love being outside with my son. Gotta keep him away from that Xbox. He got his shooting merit badge in scouts too. Love the smell of gun powder.
 #85002  by cj45lc

DelmarDave wrote:Cool, I will have to get some soon. I love being outside with my son. Gotta keep him away from that Xbox. He got his shooting merit badge in scouts too. Love the smell of gun powder.

Worth every penny IMHO

Make it fun