Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #86189  by cslade454

It was early. My alarm clock goes off. I hit the snooze noting that the clock sounded different. Shortly I heard some beeping clicking sounds and then the home security alarm went off. I got up, put on my slippers and went to the panel to reset. For some strange reason I, the oldest person in the home got to the panel first. I noted that the power must have been off during the night. One of the motion sensors down stairs had faulted. So what did I do next? Well being a half century or so old I had to make a dash to the bathroom. My wife made no inquiry as to the problem. I guess she did not want to fuel my paranoia. Now being old and wise I decided I would not take any further action until I had at least one cup of coffee. With some coffee in me I realized two things. 1. Mine was the only alarm clock to go off and that everyone was going to be late. 2. With the combination of the security alarm, the dog barking and the noise coming from the bathroom any burglar would have fled. After make sure everyone was up and not going to be late I put on my best mall ninja kit, grabbed the ballistic shield and went to check the house. No sign of forced entry and the cheese was still in the mouse traps. After my second cup of coffee I figured that the security system must have faulted when the power came back on. After getting over the disappoint of not even be able to save my family from even a mouse I pack up all my cool boy toys and went about my day.
 #86190  by cslade454

It took hundreds of officers all day to clear the court house after the shooting. In my second 40 hour class much time was spent on structure clearing. My instructors were very emphatic that it is in possible to clear a structure by yourself within any margin of safety. Now there are times when the safety margin must be crossed. Many family members have lost there lives as a result of someone who was not educated as to when safety margin can be ignored. Never point or shoot at a threat that has not been 100% verified AND the area beyond your target is clear.

In over thirty years of marriage my wife has never asked me to investigate a bump in the night nor have I. I have had to chase monsters from the closet and under the bed of my kid’s rooms many times, but never with a firearm in had. I have also had to investigate loud bangs followed by laughter, crying and or total silence during the day many times, but never with a firearm in hand. If I every though there might be someone in my home late at night to do me harm I will let the police do the room clearing not me. I am not going to run around with a firearm in hand unless there is a verifiable immediate threat.

My above post was meant to be a humors rendition of what happen when the power went out awhile back. I in fact reset the alarm and did a stop, look and listen drill witch I did have to cut short because I could not hold it any more. Later after turning off the interior motion sensors I did check the house with my Glock 21 in its serpa holster.