Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #86842  by Fishhunter911

I am looking at purchasing a RIA 1911 Tactical. I have not decided whether to go 9mm or .45. I love the Full Size but the Officer my be better for a carry weapon.

Anyone have either? If so, what are your likes and dislikes.
 #86855  by cslade454

I have some experience with rock island 1911s. I would not recommend them as a good carry self defense weapon. There lack of warranty and support in a market were most pistol have a life time warranty(ruger,smith colt,taurus,XD,glock,sig) should tell you something. There are so many other really great hand guns out there to choose from like XD's that will feed hollow points and have great factory support if some breaks.
 #86856  by cslade454

I shoot a lot. I have reloaded over 150,000 rounds. I spend a lot of time on the range. I have only ever seen one person be able to shoot more than 200 rounds though an officer 1911 without any problems. Avoid officer 1911's.
 #86857  by DragonJames

Guess ill put in my 2cents on officers models, there isn't far too much gained from them as a carry weapon unless you plan to CC, my full size carries just fine, and in some fiddling around the house its not too terribly difficult to conceal if that's the route your going for. Also helps if the weapon is designed for carry, my kimber is a carry model full size, edges are just rounded as opposed to being sharp and angular.

As far as RIA stuff I don't have experience with the so I can't help you.
 #86858  by Amy Blackthorn

Haven't owned one but I can tell you, went to a combat handgun advanced class and the guy next to me had RIA 1911 and it jammed every other mag. It jammed so bad at one point they needed a screwdriver to unjam and the last time it jammed badly enough he had to wash out of the course and take it to a gunsmith.
 #86859  by Fishhunter911

I thought the Rock Islands has a lifetime warranty. From everything I have seen this is the case.

Thanks everyone for the info. Has helped a good bit.
 #86872  by viper98

rock islands have a lifetime warranty....some, depending on the distributor have a lifetime replacement warranty...I have sold many with no issues or problems...best bang for the buck....when there's failures many times it's wrong ammo, operator error,bad mags,failure to maintain the firearm or just the fact that it is still new and takes a little time before they start operating efficiently and reliably....I have sold 4-5 thousand dollar 1911's that had hickups untill they have had time to break in....that is expected with many things new.....Does that apply to all firearms? no....some are produced differently, designed differently....
 #86873  by Fishhunter911

Thanks Chris. I spent a loooooong time today researching RIA 1911 and I found a ton of good reviews and owner who love them. Some had problems but RIA took care of them very quickly with no issues.

The issue that most talk about are the sights. The GI model seems easier to replace then the Tactical. The GI uses a series 70 rear and a post front sight. The Tactical has Novak sights but the dovetail is slightly smaller and harder to find direct replacements.

I like the Tactical because of the skeletonized hammer and trigger.

Uuuugghh. Decisions!!!