Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #87200  by sanman9781

OK, I'm putting my first AR lower together...the lower itself is polymer (New Frontier via Viper98) and the parts kit is from Palmetto...I plan on using Frog Lube during the build and for future CLP...my question is this, is there anything in the kit that I SHOULDN'T apply the Frog Lube to? Off the top of my head the only thing obvious might be the pistol grip screw and possibly the roll pins...Thanks...
 #87205  by phlydude

Watch - do as Larry says:
http://videos.midwayusa.com/index.php/s ... 1_u7cgusv9

Don't worry about all the tools he says to have. A couple punches and a zip lock bag (to work in so you don't shoot the springs across the room) is pretty much all you need besides the tool to install the castle nut on the buffer tube
 #87206  by sanman9781

thanks for the link!
 #87217  by t18man

When installing the roll pin for the bolt catch be careful not to mar the side of the receiver. I recommend putting some tape on the side to help protect it. Be careful when installing the roll pin for the trigger guard. You need to support the back of the small leg not the receiver.
 #87219  by sanman9781

yeah, it looks like the bolt catch pin is going to be the hardest (or most annoying anyway) part of the install...thanks again guys...

and phlydude, was nice meeting you at Viper's yesterday...
 #87233  by sanman9781

I wound up using a big pair of slipjoint pliers for the roll pin in the bolt catch...everything else went pretty smoothly for the most part but I had to do a bit of reaming and filing of the holes for the takedown pins and I've still got the slightest bit of a hitch in the movement of the bolt catch (again, this is a polymer lower)...