Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #87266  by cslade454

bmel17 wrote:In addition, I would add: I wouldn't carry a weapon until I fired it with my ammo of choice. Make sure the ammo you like cycles properly or find one that does. I wouldn't want to find out my pistol was finicky with hornady crit defense and jammed after the first round.
MrCoolDale wrote:You bring up a fantastic point. Perhaps one even worth it's own thread...
It is vitally important that you practice with what you carry. If you're going to carry a firearm, you should definitely shoot it first. Take it to the range and put a bunch of rounds through it. Put some regular ol' range ammo through it first, then your carry loads. Make sure it cycles well. In the winter, I even suggest trying it out with your gloves on.

Above all: Be alert, stay safe.
Guard_Duck wrote:
bmel17 wrote:In addition, I would add: I wouldn't carry a weapon until I fired it with my ammo of choice. Make sure the ammo you like cycles properly or find one that does. I wouldn't want to find out my pistol was finicky with hornady crit defense and jammed after the first round.
I was about to add that. I don't start carrying until I have at least 200 rounds through a new firearm. With at least 2 full mags of whatever I plan on carrying.
 #87267  by cslade454

I have seen lately a lot of defective new guns. My perception is that it is more than normal. You need to verify every gun you use for defense is working properly. With today ammo cost this may cost more than the gun. For someone that is already well trained and experienced it takes maybe 200 rounds or more of practice ammo to break-in/ get the feel of the gun. You should also practice drawing the gun from your holster. If you have more than one holster you might need to practice with all of them.

Testing carry ammo can be real expensive. Maybe you already have a brand that you like. You are still going to have to make sure it works well in the new gun. I recommend shooting ten shot groups at 3,5,10,15 20, 25 and 50 yards. Label and keep your targets. Refer to them often. It is common to see two identical guns have different point of aim, point of impact. Every gun needs to be tested.

Say you have a Glock 17 now you need 35 rounds to carry in the gun and your spare mag. I think you should consider also keeping a couple more mags loaded and ready. At the beginning of the winter season I shot up all the ammo I carried with me the last year. As you can see you may need 150-200 rounds of that real expensive carry ammo.
 #87409  by cslade454

Another problem i see at the range, guns that were just being carried that don't work. Now there are many cause for a failure to fire. I see an awful lot of failures that were cause by cleaning, maintenance and tinkering. Mostly guns reassembled improperly after cleaning or after having some super duper widget installed. It might be a good idea that you test fire any gun used for defense after cleaning/tinkering before it is carried.