Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #89018  by sethinde

Looking for a reputable gunsmith local to the Newark area. I need Night Sights installed on an XDm 9mm. I had a card from Accu-Services/Nathan Smith, but I called him and haven't been called back.

Looking for a little guidance from the community.

Thanks
 #89034  by spillanej

sethinde wrote:Looking for a reputable gunsmith local to the Newark area. I need Night Sights installed on an XDm 9mm. I had a card from Accu-Services/Nathan Smith, but I called him and haven't been called back.

Looking for a little guidance from the community.

Thanks
I know theres a smith and wesson certified gunsmith who works as a salesman at xring. He can pretty much do any weapon or platform though.
 #89038  by SasquatchAF

Not sure how strong your mechanical/gun working skills are, but its worth a shot to do it yourself. Although you would need to get a sight pusher tool to do it, but at least you would have the tool to do it to any other firearms you may wish to modify. Plus you can make your own adjustments without having to go back to the gunsmith if needed.

As long as you dont have any major problems, it shouldnt be too bad. But I have heard of some of them being a PITA to get out, and know someone who got to take a hacksaw to someone's Kimber :troll:
 #89045  by dave_in_delaware

I've read on the XDtalk forum that the XD sights are a PITA to get off "nicely."
 #89051  by SasquatchAF

Sodbuster wrote:They're not fun to do but they're doable. I'm three for three so far.

Heavy duty sight pusher is a must, however.
And your hacksaw for Speeders beloved Kimber :lol:
 #89054  by sethinde

I've read on the XDtalk forum that the XD sights are a PITA to get off "nicely."
I have read this as well, I have also read that they are pressed into the dovetails by a machine press at the factory. That's why I was wondering what a gunsmith may charge. I have also priced the heavy duty sight tools and they were $100.00 - $150.00 and cheap ones were around $50 plus shipping.

Was going to figure out the price difference. I would imagine they would be close to the same price and I might as well buck-up and pickup the sight tool and learn to do it myself.

Sodbuster - What sight tool do you use? Do you use a regular oil or a penetrating oil? I would think Croil or PB Blaster would be good for this, what do you think?

It was also suggested to me that I use my brass punch and hammer to tap them off gently, but I have no confidence in doing that... I think I would be fine using a tool that was designed for the purpose.

Or I could do this -------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEY1r9E7so :troll: