Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #89231  by Owen

I usually wear double hearing protection when I shoot: yellow ear plugs and a set of amplified muffs so I can hear voices better while shooting (range officer etc) but still reduce the boom.

I'm looking for a simpler way to go that reduces loud noises, doesn't use batteries, still lets me hear people and was compatible with a good cheek weld.

I thought about maybe trying this type:
http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-EPS-Soni ... 004XPJKMM/

Anyone have experience with these or other suggestions?

Thanks!
 #89234  by SigGirl

I use those (without the cord) and I love them! I think they're comfortable too and I don't have a problem hearing people either. I can't wear the muffs, they're uncomfortable with my shooting glasses. I also like the convenience of them, I can pop them out and put them in their case and right into my pocket.
 #89257  by brich2929

what's the big advantage to the amplified ones like those with Wayne Lapierre's name on 'em?
 #89264  by astro_wanabe

brich2929 wrote:what's the big advantage to the amplified ones like those with Wayne Lapierre's name on 'em?
They let you hear other people talking without having to shout at each other, but they still block dangerously loud noises. They can be turned up to amplify ambient sounds above normal levels, so you can actually hear soft noises better than without them.
 #89265  by whatevah

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sports (amplified muffs) on the pistol range and usually double up with a pair of corded plugs on the rifle range, but can't get a good cheekweld so usually just end up with just the plugs when I'm shooting. I love the Impact Sports since you can hear guys talking 12 lanes down. The downside is that they have a lower NRR than plain muffs or plugs.

I like the idea of the Surefire plugs, just haven't gotten around to trying them.
 #89275  by Owen

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll get a set to try out.

I get the 28NRR mushroom type plugs free from work and I wear them under the Howard Leight Impact Sports muffs. I was looking for a more comfortable re-useable option as the mushrooms irritate my ears after a few hours because the "stems" hit the inside of the muffs. The double protection does make shooting very nice even an AR.

I was also looking at the Walkers Game Ear they are more expensive but have 29NRR and sound amplification. I can get a set on Amazon for $122
EDIT: I just found out that price is per ear! Ouch!

Saw this an chuckled
 #89282  by Guard_Duck

I use these Radians Custom molded ear plugs. I have the cord that goes in each side. Works great, and the plugs are pretty much flush in my ear, so muffs don't interfere. And you can get different colors.
 #89676  by radnor

Owen wrote: Image
http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-EPS-Soni ... 004XPJKMM/

Anyone have experience with these or other suggestions?
It was $120 to have the baffle removed from my ear when the baffle and stem came off the black (your photo) loop. Tried the local fire station. Paramedics there did not have hemostats to remove it (REALLY - WTF?!?). Went to the EMA unit to get it removed.
SigGirl wrote:I use those (without the cord) and I love them! I think they're comfortable too and I don't have a problem hearing people either. I can't wear the muffs, they're uncomfortable with my shooting glasses. I also like the convenience of them, I can pop them out and put them in their case and right into my pocket.
Agree with you 100% until the above.

So, no thanks.
 #89697  by Owen

Thanks for the warning Radnor. I heard a similar story from another guy but forgot it.

I may just try the radians thanks guard_duck.

Knowing fickle me I'll try them all but I'll inspect the Surefire ones before I stuff them in.
 #89700  by Dr. Eastwood

radnor wrote: It was $120 to have the baffle removed from my ear when the baffle and stem came off the black (your photo) loop. Tried the local fire station. Paramedics there did not have hemostats to remove it (REALLY - WTF?!?). Went to the EMA unit to get it removed.
Did you get actual NCC Paramedics or were you bugging a BLS crew to do it? Going to a fire station for a non-emergency medical aid is a waste of resources, and then cursing them for not having certain equipment (that a BLS crew doesn't carry) doesn't make it any better.