Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #89915  by Taurus247

I have never converted an AR-15 however I am looking at getting rid of my .308 and was looking at converting my AR to be able to shoot .308 and .223. How hard is it to convert an AR and dose anyone have any experience with a .308 AR? Are they worth the work, price, etc? Thanks everyone.
 #89917  by astro_wanabe

.308 AR's use a different lower with a larger magwell to accept the larger magazines. You might want to look into .300 Blackout, which uses standard AR15 mags, lowers, and even bolts. Only thing that needs changed is the barrel.

ETA: if you decide to buy a .308 pattern AR, be advised that they are NOT as standardized as the AR15 pattern style of rifles. Things may not be interchangeable between manufacturers.
 #89933  by SasquatchAF

Taurus247 wrote:I have never converted an AR-15 however I am looking at getting rid of my .308 and was looking at converting my AR to be able to shoot .308 and .223. How hard is it to convert an AR and dose anyone have any experience with a .308 AR? Are they worth the work, price, etc? Thanks everyone.
What 308 might you be thinking of getting rid of? :troll:
 #89979  by spillanej

Ar10 platform is bigger, there are lowers which are for both the 10 and 15 platforms but they tend to not line up 100% with the uppers. Thry might be attachable but when firing the entire upper might "roll" back and forth. Defeats the purpose of an ar10.