Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #90283  by Taurus247

I currently have a Double Star Corp. Star-15 AR-15 with a 20" Barrel with a removable carrying handle and just a standard 4 position collapsible butt stock. I have done nothing to the rifle except replace the standard hand guards with one with rails.

I am looking for a shorter CQB type AR that can be used for home defense. Accuracy is a big must for me. I have a lot of experience with "M4s" from the Marines in both Long Range (500 yards) and house clearing. So I know that you can be extremely accurate with the right equipment even with short barrels.

My question is, is it better to sell my AR and get a "top of the line" base model and make it what I want or to upgrade what I have piece by piece?

Thanks ahead of time for everyone's input and help.
 #90288  by SasquatchAF

Ill give ya a $100 head start towards an upgrade and take that off your hands for ya! :sparring:
 #90291  by Taurus247

SasquatchAF wrote:Ill give ya a $100 head start towards an upgrade and take that off your hands for ya! :sparring:
Throw in $300 to $400 more and we talk lol
 #90294  by SasquatchAF

Hows the accuracy on it? How many rounds through it?
 #90296  by Taurus247

SasquatchAF wrote:Ill give ya a $100 head start towards an upgrade and take that off your hands for ya! :sparring:
bmel17 wrote:I'd give you 400 in a heartbeat!
Hmm... Auction lol :sparring: PM for interested not sure if willing to sell yet but will take offers on a first come first serve basis but also best offer will take it.
 #90298  by bmel17

If you don't want to sell, you could always switch the barrel out or even the entire upper. Would be cheaper than buying a new rifle. But if you're looking for an excuse :pbjtime:
 #90301  by SasquatchAF

bmel17 wrote:If you don't want to sell, you could always SWITCH THE barrel out or even the ENTIRE UPPER . Would be cheaper than buying a new rifle. But if you're looking for an excuse :pbjtime:

My thoughts exactly :troll:
 #90304  by Mr.Skellington

Sell? One is none and two is one. Start from scratch and you'll have a long range 20" barrel and a separate CQC rifle.

Ask yourself what will you do with the parts you replace? Then you realize that little more than the receivers are the only parts you could reuse for what your describing so you'll end up parting out or recycling them into another build anyway. So basically a new rifle is the order of the day. Whether or not you keep your current rifle is up to you.

Personally I see a CQC and an ultra accurate tackdriver as two separate builds entirely though.
 #90350  by myopicvisionary

Get a new 16" upper assembly now. You can build a new lower assembly later and have two rifles.