Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #90397  by Taurus247

Dose anyone have any experience with the 5.7 x 28 round? I watched it on top shot and have looked at the fn five seven. Likes awesome and as close as you can get to carrying a rifle round without carrying a rifle. Any thoughts on how the round and or pistols are. Also what about as a carry gun?
 #90414  by myopicvisionary

The round was designed for one purpose, to penetrate soft body armor. I would not consider it for OC. Even if you prevail in a defensive shooting, there is always the possibility of a civil lawsuit. And here is the plaintiff's lawyer holding the very weapon that saved your life before an uninformed jury and gorily explaining it's enhanced lethality using words like "armor piercing", "cop-killer", "no sporting purpose", etc.
 #90416  by Guard_Duck

I agree with myopic, wouldn't carry it for self defense, would carry .22 before I carried 5.7. That said, it is a fun round for the range, but there's only a handful of firearms chambered for it.

Stick with the tried and true, 9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357, 10mm, and .380.
 #90418  by brich2929

I own a PS90 and just picked up a FiveseveN, haven't yet shot the pistol.

I like the pistol's light weight and round capacity as well as safety location just above the trigger.

As for the performance, its definitely got velocity. The 5.7 is the choice of secret service (Special rounds though), its got light recoil, albeit its pricey to shoot and not many manufacturers make it. There are some specialty manufacturers like eliteammo who provide it but right now even they are out of stock.

The 5.7 upper for an AR is pretty interesting to me, it uses the PS90/P90 magazines (up to 50 round capacity)and discharges spent casings from your lower's mag well.

In response to Myopic's statement about a potential lawsuit, I say F'em.
If the opposing attorney stated "armor piercing", I'd counter with the fact that those types of rounds are unavailable to civilians, if they say "no sporting purpose", I'd point to the box of bullets from FN that says "SS197R Sporting Cartridge",if they say "cop killer" then I'd ask the question to that "uninformed jury" to the tune of "name me a bullet that won't kill a cop or anyone else", then I'd argue to the jury what "cop killer" has to do with it if its not a police officer that was killed.

Your .45, 9mm, .40SW, is every bit as lethal as a 5.7, whether in the eyes of the law or in the heart of reasonable men. I had the duty of being on a jury in a criminal case this month which involved murder with posession of a firearm (illegal), and the DA supressed from us the fact that they also charged him with Posession of a firearm by a person prohibited, I surmise because if we had been allowed to know that charge, an astute juror who knows the law (like myself) would have known that the defendant was a person with a prior felony conviction.

If you carry legally, open or not, it doesn't and shouldn't matter what round you fire if its in defense of your life or that of your family.

Civil court is its own beast- depending on the state the jury doesn't have to be unanimous, the standards of evidence are different./ I'd still rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and if a 5.7 round gives me the best fighting chance of protecting me or my family, then I'll at least consider using it.
 #90419  by myopicvisionary

You better have a top flight attorney on your side. Too many cases have gone expensively south because the jury was swayed by imagery and emotion. My self defense firearms are stock, firing common calibers using ammunition that does not have some stupid "Zombie" advertising on the box.
 #90421  by brich2929

I may tend to agree with you on the "Zombie" ammo only because it can tend to call question to one's judgment in using ammunition that's somewhere bewteen a joke and a fantasy. I'm really opposed to the Zombie trend for that reason. At this time in firearms rights history, I don't think we should align ourselves with something that was born out of cult films and B movies and translate that into actual firearms and ammo that can actually kill. If its a paintball gun or water gun, have at it. Going off on a tangent here, but that's my opinion.
myopicvisionary wrote:
You better have a top flight attorney on your side. Too many cases have gone expensively south because the jury was swayed by imagery and emotion. My self defense firearms are stock, firing common calibers using ammunition that does not have some stupid "Zombie" advertising on the box.
 #90422  by bmel17

the zombie ammo is the exact same round as the critical defense from hornaday. only difference is the color if the tip. I only have some because during the ammo crisis everywhere was sold out of critical defense.

while not disagreeing with you on how a jury could be, I'll still use it because its good ammo plain and simple. JMO
 #90423  by brich2929

Yes, I understand its the same ammo, but I just went over to the Hornady website and their Disclaimer, no matter how tongue-in-cheek it may be interpreted to be is as follows:

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!
bmel17 wrote:the zombie ammo is the exact same round as the critical defense from hornaday. only difference is the color if the tip. I only have some because during the ammo crisis everywhere was sold out of critical defense.

while not disagreeing with you on how a jury could be, I'll still use it because its good ammo plain and simple. JMO
 #90759  by spillanej

myopicvisionary wrote:
You can surely do whatever you like. Ill stick to my ammo designed to kill a person, you can go buy rubber rounds. You are starting to sound like congress here.. "you CAN defend yourself, but not with this, or this, or that."

My two cents.
 #90761  by Guard_Duck

spillanej wrote: You can surely do whatever you like. Ill stick to my ammo designed to kill a person, you can go buy rubber rounds. You are starting to sound like congress here.. "you CAN defend yourself, but not with this, or this, or that."

My two cents.

I hope you never have to use a firearm in a self defense situation, they will have a field day with you. They'll will drag up this statement, and use it to prove motive, that you wanted to kill someone. They'll bury you under the jail.

You don't use a firearm in self defense to kill someone, you use it to stop the threat to your life.