Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #91464  by Furryudel

I am considering M&P 9mm pro for IDPA. I would of course do a trigger job on it, stipple the grip, and maybe even some serrations on the slide for press checks and one hand drills. I feel that it is an easier shooter than even a G17. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion (I know you all have them :)). BTW I would also OC the M&P since it's about the size of a 1911.
 #91465  by Taurus247

I have not shot a M&P yet been eyeing one but others jumped to me first lol. I have not shot competition either however I do want to get involved in it. However the reason I commented (since I cant comment of the other aspects) is the serrations you talked about. I just saw a video the other day that talked about a company that dose them. I have been looking at getting them for my Glock 19. Ill link the video and in the video comments is the link to the company if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe3s0LmZ ... uP7WWzPmnA
 #91466  by spillanej

Furryudel wrote:I am considering M&P 9mm pro for IDPA. I would of course do a trigger job on it, stipple the grip, and maybe even some serrations on the slide for press checks and one hand drills. I feel that it is an easier shooter than even a G17. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion (I know you all have them :)). BTW I would also OC the M&P since it's about the size of a 1911.
The m&p is an incredible weapon. DO NOT CARRY A COMPETITION MODIFIED M&P! The parts made for the trigger job and the solid hardened steel seer, and even the recoil springs available are NOT designed to operate to defensive handgun standards for more than 100-250 rounds.

That being said I got to fire the first m&p9 pro Costa edition... holy crap... but every couple hundred shots it needs to be stripped down and the action springs replaced, lighter pieces like the locking block "spring" (more of an angled stud) break easily with the action mods too.

The standard m&p9 c/fs/pro will serve well as a carry weapon. Do not use hornady x series rounds for defensive carry, regardless of who ass3mbles them. (Hornady xtp is one example) they do not feed well.. 27 failures in a row on my friends, 18ish in a row on mine, with 9 failurea to fire from being seated incorrectly.
 #91467  by spillanej

Taurus247 wrote:I have not shot a M&P yet been eyeing one but others jumped to me first lol. I have not shot competition either however I do want to get involved in it. However the reason I commented (since I cant comment of the other aspects) is the serrations you talked about. I just saw a video the other day that talked about a company that dose them. I have been looking at getting them for my Glock 19. Ill link the video and in the video comments is the link to the company if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe3s0LmZ ... uP7WWzPmnA
If youre interested we can take a range trip one day. Recently replaced my barrel with a new factory one.. 300 rounds in and it has that nice mirror polish going on.
 #91573  by Furryudel

spillanej wrote:
The m&p is an incredible weapon. DO NOT CARRY A COMPETITION MODIFIED M&P! The parts made for the trigger job and the solid hardened steel seer, and even the recoil springs available are NOT designed to operate to defensive handgun standards for more than 100-250 rounds.
I would keep the trigger above 4lbs, but l'm more interested in feeling a predictable reset and break. Not sure if my beard is ready for the costa M&P.
 #91581  by spillanej

Furryudel wrote:
spillanej wrote:
I would keep the trigger above 4lbs, but l'm more interested in feeling a predictable reset and break. Not sure if my beard is ready for the costa M&P.
No... my beard wasnt either. When I held it in my hands my beard instantly grew thick and bushy, and it was now made of pure kevlar.