Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #92501  by spillanej

I got into a discussion with a friend today about drills and how to time drawing or shooting when on the range alone. My advice was to use others shots as a starting point instead of a range timer or a friend whistling, as to you it is completely sporadic.

He started off on a long rant about how he does not like hearing protection because the sound of the real bang in the real world can make people flinch since they are not used to the volume.

Obviously hearing protection is a must to avoid permanent hearing damage, but does anyone agree with him that occasionally you may need to take the ears off?
 #92502  by whatevah

From what I've heard and read (since I've never been in the situation)... in a real gunfight, the shots aren't that loud. You'll be hyper-focused on your gun, and the other guy and his gun. A lot of people experience tunnel vision and selective hearing, too. So, absolutely no reason to train without hearing protection. Theoretically, the hearing you lose from being next to a loud gun, could be enough so you don't hear the bad guy picking the lock on your front door. Theoretically. :)

I suppose if you weren't expecting it, a gun shot could really startle you, but aren't we all supposed to be constantly on alert? Part of the whole self-defense mindset thing...
 #92507  by TexasJay

If you ever deer hunt, ya know the rush you get right before you take the shot? The adrenaline makes you hyper focus on that shot. It creates a tunnel vision effect. That's why during training, at the end of your drill you should search and assess. The adrenaline prevents you from hearing much. I never hear the blast from my 30-30 when I have a buck in the cross hairs. The loss of hearing isn't worth training without ears.
 #92508  by photog

spillanej wrote: Obviously hearing protection is a must to avoid permanent hearing damage, but does anyone agree with him that occasionally you may need to take the ears off?
I always recommend to my students that they should remove one side of their headsets or earplugs when shooting. Just for a few shots from time to time, to get used to the sound and so as not to frighten you if, God forbid that you must perform a self- defense shoot in your home. The decibel level will be multiplied greatly and the sound will be deafening. If you are prepared for that sound level, through proper training, it will become a non-issue......

Have a nice day,
photog 8-)
 #92509  by spillanej

TexasJay wrote:If you ever deer hunt, ya know the rush you get right before you take the shot? The adrenaline makes you hyper focus on that shot. It creates a tunnel vision effect. That's why during training, at the end of your drill you should search and assess. The adrenaline prevents you from hearing much. I never hear the blast from my 30-30 when I have a buck in the cross hairs. The loss of hearing isn't worth training without ears.
Proper combat training can help reduce that tunnel vision effect. It'll always be there but with enough professional training your mind does not go to that stage, it stops at the index cards of events you have been through, one step before that tunnel vision effect really gets bad.

You know.. in case a second deer is walking up on you with a shotgun while you aim at his friend. :troll:
 #92512  by myopicvisionary

I always use ear muffs when training and in the past, hunting. My electronic earmuffs protect my hearing, amplify ambient sounds and when hunting in the cold, keep my ears warm. Settled down in the woods, the sounds of animals moving about is amazing. Once when investigating a bump in the night, my earmuffs extended my detection range while I was hunkered in a dark corner behind cover.
Last edited by myopicvisionary on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #92530  by SCUBA9097

I strongly disagree. You should never shoot without hearing protection unless there is no other choice (such as in a self-defense situation.)

I can tell you from first-hand experience that auditory exclusion does occur in dramatic situations, but the problem lies in that just because you perceive the shots as being quieter, doesn’t mean that they really are and didn’t do permanent damage.

According to OSHA, NIOSH and the CDC, gunshots can fall anywhere between 140-190 dB (depending on the firearm) and can cause immediate damage. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/noise/signs.htm

The worst part of this is that the damage isn’t always immediately apparent. You may feel completely fine after exposure and not manifest signs/symptoms until years later.

Trust me, having tinnitus is no picnic. I’ve suffered from it for several years now, but I consider myself lucky I didn’t end up doing more damage. It can take only one exposure to do permanent damage. That’s entirely way too much risk for no real benefit.

Aside from that information, by the time he hears the shot, the bullet is already on its way to its destination (bullet exits the muzzle, followed by the gasses which cause the bang).

The report of the shot being fired shouldn’t affect the shot placement so long as he’s following the 5 fundamentals (Aiming, Hold Control, Breath Control, Trigger Control and Follow Through) which is why we train, train and train some more. In a life-or-death situation, we have to be able to rely on that correct muscle memory.

If he has already developed a flinch, there are techniques to correct that response using snap caps, etc.
 #92537  by Boots

SCUBA9097 wrote:...
Trust me, having tinnitus is no picnic. I’ve suffered from it for several years now, but I consider myself lucky I didn’t end up doing more damage. It can take only one exposure to do permanent damage. That’s entirely way too much risk for no real benefit.
A Big +1
 #92540  by dave_in_delaware

I can say with 100% accuracy that in a self-defense shooting incident, under conditions of high duress and adrenaline, you most likely will NOT even hear your gunshot. At all.

But under normal conditions (target practice, etc) I would recommend using hearing protection at all times. There's no need to chance damage to your hearing.