Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #93930  by spillanej

Well I knew this time would come for me, but I cannot proceed without the opinions of others who have actually had to do this. My (almost) 3 year old daughter talks about "daddy's gun" more and more, but she still does not know what a gun really is. To me it is obvious that I need to cut the head off of the impending issue by teaching her what a firearm is, what it does, and how to be safe around one. I don't think I'm going to be bringing a 3 year old to a public range like some of my friends have suggested, personally until she is a little older and a little more capable of comprehension I think I want to stick with never touching one, to tell an adult if you find one kind of discussion... but I'm not sure. :banghead:

Can anyone help provide some insight into this for me? I am open to any advice at all. Thanks!
 #93932  by Mr.Skellington

At only three years old your best and only effective solution is to keep your arms out of her reach.

A sit down explanation or trip to the range comes later on when you have determined she has the mental maturity to grasp the material. Good luck.
 #93951  by brich2929

The NRA Eddie Eagle program cartoon may be age appropriate for her.

My son is 3 and I need to have him watch it. Their Youtube Channel has the video at low quality but it gets the point across. Of course you can buy the DVD from them
I can't get it to embed but here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEBrb_wRYc

Also, this link, https://gunsmartkids.com/ may be a little out of her age range just yet but may be useful for you. And the kids are great ambassadors for Child Gun safety.

I've begun having the talk with my kids (2 and 3) as my son is very interested in daddy's guns and will occasionally watch Hickok45 videos with me.
My daughter just turned 2 and the other day I had my Sub2000 out as I had been working on it and she came down and said "Wow! Cool!"
So I had to break out the "You don't touch guns. Guns can hurt you. If you see a gun, you don't touch it, tell mommy, daddy or another adult"

I was telling my son last night "Guns are for big boys who can obey and listen to their parents and follow rules, when you are ready, daddy will show you how to use a gun and will take you shooting". I think he understood.
 #93954  by SCUBA9097

I believe I have quite a bit of the Eddie Eagle materials available. If you would like, I can try to dig them up and hold them aside for you.
 #93955  by dave_in_delaware

It's difficult for kids nowadays to NOT notice guns, especially for parent(s) who OC (or even CC) a gun on a daily basis. I had this problem since I was open carrying my XD every day starting in 2008 and my 3 kids were younger....

While I agree with the Eddie Eagle thing being a good start geared for the young age, I have to say you hit it on the head when you said:
spillanej wrote:... To me it is obvious that I need to cut the head off of the impending issue by teaching her what a firearm is, what it does, and how to be safe around one.
That's exactly what you need to do.

I would suggest a nice one-on-one sit-down with your child while you're either cleaning, disassembling, reassembling your handgun some day. Explain things. Let your child help with cleaning. But also tell and explain the safety rules, and what to do if a gun is found somewhere.

I believe the key to all of this is taking the "taboo" out of (or removing the "forbidden" stigma from) firearms. I mean, what's the first thing a child will do if you tell him/her "guns are bad don't touch"? Yeah, they're going to go out of their way to find and touch one. Removing the forbidden stigma, and teaching your child one-on-one about firearms and firearms safety is the first step to avoiding a bad accident in the future.

It shouldn't be about "no you can't" but about "sure, under my supervision, what do you want to know?" which creates personal time with you and your child. Tell her any time she has a question about guns to ask you, and you can tell her and/or show her, in a controlled environment. Teaching your child that she can come to you about this sort of subject will prove beneficial in the future with other things, too.

Being out-in-the-open honest about guns, and not all hush hush, with your child will not only get them used to being around guns, learning about the safety rules, etc, but also might take the "curiosity" out of guns so they don't get into trouble when you're not around.

As for hands-on range time, I'd say she's probably too young (mentally, and maybe physically) to shoot, but that doesn't mean you can't take her to one to let her watch, or just hear how loud they are, etc.

So I guess long story short: take the curiosity away from guns, and teach your child gun safety, how guns work, what they are, etc now, since she's showing an interest. Use this as not only an educational opportunity (safety, function, care, etc), but also as more one-on-one time with your child.
 #93956  by WVisHome

dave_in_delaware wrote: I believe the key to all of this is taking the "taboo" out of (or removing the "forbidden" stigma from) firearms. I mean, what's the first thing a child will do if you tell him/her "guns are bad don't touch"? Yeah, they're going to go out of their way to find and touch one. Removing the forbidden stigma, and teaching your child one-on-one about firearms and firearms safety is the first step to avoiding a bad accident in the future.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

This applies to just about ANYTHING you don't want your child to do.
 #93958  by Owen

You've gotten great advice so far! :applause:

All I can add is that I started my daughter at six shooting silhouettes at DSPC with a break action Thompson Contender in 22LR off a sandbag with me holding it too . Simple one shot and light trigger. She could put in the round I'd close and cock it and she'd aim and pull the trigger. Same for my two boys. Stop by DSPC on a Friday some time and you can see the setup.
 #93966  by Chizult

I disagree slightly with what everyone has said (edit: after re-reading dave's advice I guess he and I are of similar mind). I think kids are much more capable than we give them credit for. Look at what kids are doing in other countries around the world, and what kids were doing in this country 100 years ago.

The rule with my kids has always been that if you want to handle a firearm you let me know. You can do it at any time as long as I'm around, you just need to ask. I started this very young, but most of my guns were of little to no interest because even a handgun is heavy to a 3 year old. So last Christmas, at 2 and 4 years old, I got them the lightest gun I could find which was a red ryder bb gun.

Now whenever I'm handling my guns and they ask to play with their gun, I bring it out for them. While handling their gun I obviously am constantly going over the 4 rules. It's also nice because I can always take it out for them to shoot in the backyard upon request. Of course all of my guns are still readily available for them to hold or even shoot, but they now prefer theirs because it was designed for someone their size and it is much more comfortable for them to hold.

This strategy has done many things for me, that the "hands off" rule likely won't:

1) It demystifies guns, which is half the battle with kids. Get them used to something, then bored with something, and they will have little to no interest in it. Forbid something, and suddenly they're all about it.

2) It does not create this innate fear of guns. I'd hate to take the time to build in that fear, only to have to strip it away later.

3) It does build a healthy respect for guns. By constantly going over the 4 rules and practicing them, in a couple years when the oldest is ready for her .22, she'll not only be able to recite the rules but will know what they mean and be able to practice them safely.

4) It gives me another thing to do with the kids that I enjoy. I've been enjoying shooting with my kids in the backyard for over a year now, and my kids are only 3 and 5. I'd hate to not have those memories. The whole "take a kid shooting" thing can start as early as you want it it.

My thoughts on the topic anyway, YMMV.
Last edited by Chizult on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.