Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #94701  by spillanej

Just had a discussion with someone who told me you could very badly injure yourself by grabbing an attacker's gun if he fires it while you are holding it. While this may seem stupid to think about while someone is shooting at you, if you are ever concerned I assure you guys that I have tried this, I encourage others to try this at your own risk (because someone ALWAYS finds a way), it is perfectly safe.

I found a video from my favorite Polishmen about this for you as well.

#94702  by brich2929

just don't try with a wheel gun...
 #94704  by spillanej

brich2929 wrote:just don't try with a wheel gun...
yeah... in a safe environment don't do that! (If you're being shot at by a revolver and you have the time to notice that, flip a table and throw a chair.)
 #94705  by spillanej

brich2929 wrote:just don't try with a wheel gun...
In my defense wheel guns have no slide :P
 #94706  by DP21

Seen this on one of the outdoor channel shows both the auto and revolver. With the revolver they said if you grab the cylinder tight it can't rotate and bring the hammer back
 #94707  by myopicvisionary

I have done this in training. Standing clear, the auto fired but did not cycle with my death grip on the slide. Now it was incapable of being fired again in the midst of our "struggle". With a revolver, the cylinder was unable to turn thus rendering it inoperable as long as you held on to it.
 #94709  by Owen

Interesting. Makes sense because the slide is designed to reload the pistol. I've seen weak reloads do the same sort of thing when they didn't have enough power to cycle the pistol similar to shooting a 380 in a 9mm.

In the case of the semi-auto there was still one shot made and that one shot could be all it takes. Also not all pistols use a slide. Grabbing would have no effect on a Ruger Mk I/II/III or a Browning Buckmark.
 #94714  by TexasJay

Owen wrote:Interesting. Makes sense because the slide is designed to reload the pistol. I've seen weak reloads do the same sort of thing when they didn't have enough power to cycle the pistol similar to shooting a 380 in a 9mm.

In the case of the semi-auto there was still one shot made and that one shot could be all it takes. Also not all pistols use a slide. Grabbing would have no effect on a Ruger Mk I/II/III or a Browning Buckmark.

^^^But how many brownings are really used to commit violent crime? I honestly see that during the small likely hood that I'm ever attacked with a handgun, it will more likely be a S&W SDVE or other ghetto-fied stryker fired weapon equipped with home-boi nite sites. Home bois are mounted on the side of the slide instead of the top. Take your usual one handed aiming stance and rotate your gat 45 degrees and you'll see why the home bois are necessary additions if you're trying to shoot out of a moving car or over a crack house fence.
 #94724  by Owen

TexasJay wrote:^^^But how many brownings are really used to commit violent crime? I honestly see that during the small likely hood that I'm ever attacked with a handgun, it will more likely be a S&W SDVE or other ghetto-fied stryker fired weapon equipped with home-boi nite sites. Home bois are mounted on the side of the slide instead of the top. Take your usual one handed aiming stance and rotate your gat 45 degrees and you'll see why the home bois are necessary additions if you're trying to shoot out of a moving car or over a crack house fence.
A good suggestion for another youtube video! :troll:
 #94733  by spillanej

Owen wrote:Interesting. Makes sense because the slide is designed to reload the pistol. I've seen weak reloads do the same sort of thing when they didn't have enough power to cycle the pistol similar to shooting a 380 in a 9mm.

Now you're getting into Opfor hyper violent weapons manipulation. Something that I do teach... Grab and hit the mag release works on any semi auto the same as grabbing and holding tight. Redirect the angle of attack, hit the button, hit the shooter with anything you can...

Takes a crap ton of practice to get this done. My advice: just give them your wallet and watch.