Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #99778  by ScreamingSilence

Anyone have any experience with these? I was looking at the chamber version and wanted to get one to help sight in the new scope for my AR but I have heard mixed reviews about brands. Ive seen them from $8 on Amazon to $70 at Cabelas. Just curious anyone else's thoughts/experiences before I potently waste money on one.
 #99790  by WVisHome

They're only good for getting you in the ballpark (on paper @ 25 yards)...at least the one I got anyway.

Easiest I've found is start at a short distance (15-20 yards) and shoot a round or two at the bullseye. Then put the gun in a rest or vice with the crosshairs on the bullseye and then move the crosshairs to the bullet.
 #99791  by cj45lc

JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money

Take the upper off the lower, pull the bolt out then lay the upper on something steady & look through the bore & sight it through the bore at an object. Then just adjust the scope to the same object. Doesn't have to be a long distance but that should put you on the paper at 25 yds.
 #99792  by Owen

cj45lc wrote:JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money

Take the upper off the lower, pull the bolt out then lay the upper on something steady & look through the bore & sight it through the bore at an object. Then just adjust the scope to the same object. Doesn't have to be a long distance but that should put you on the paper at 25 yds.
^ I've done this myself. Worked just fine with my AR.
 #99798  by WVisHome

Agreed.
 #99821  by ScreamingSilence

If you'd like I can prolly start bringing up other things people think are wastes of money?? Then we can completely high jack the thread and go off topic :banghead:

But the more I read I think taking the bolt out is the easier way to go. Thanks for the input!
 #99823  by cj45lc

ScreamingSilence wrote:
If you'd like I can prolly start bringing up other things people think are wastes of money?? Then we can completely high jack the thread and go off topic :banghead:

But the more I read I think taking the bolt out is the easier way to go. Thanks for the input!

Wow...I thought you had asked if you thought the boresight would be a waste of money in your original post

Sorry if I pissed on your Corn Flakes :lol:
 #99825  by ScreamingSilence

cj45lc wrote:
ScreamingSilence wrote:

Wow...I thought you had asked if you thought the boresight would be a waste of money in your original post

Sorry if I pissed on your Corn Flakes :lol:
Clearly I should not have read and commented after a long day of drinking :toilet:

I'm too used to other sites where people go way off topic for no reason at all

Thanks for the bolt idea tho. I'd read about doing that but wasnt 100% sure how to take the bolt out...was WAY easier than I thought.
 #99831  by cj45lc

Good deal, glad you got it figured out

was just trying to give you an idea that worked great for me
 #99835  by Boots

ScreamingSilence wrote:... Clearly I should not have read and commented after a long day of drinking :toilet: ....
That's a big 10-4.

And, if that's a problem you have to deal with, make sure when you know when to lock the guns away.