Login    
   
   
    Register FAQ  •  Search    

· Home ·   Forums ·  Who Are We? ·  What is Open Carry? ·  CCDW Process ·  FAQ ·  Contact ·  Terms ·

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Boresights
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 am
Posts: 27
Anyone have any experience with these? I was looking at the chamber version and wanted to get one to help sight in the new scope for my AR but I have heard mixed reviews about brands. Ive seen them from $8 on Amazon to $70 at Cabelas. Just curious anyone else's thoughts/experiences before I potently waste money on one.

_________________
None can love freedom heartily, but good men... the rest love not freedom, but license. - John Milton


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 146
Location: Claymont
They're only good for getting you in the ballpark (on paper @ 25 yards)...at least the one I got anyway.


Easiest I've found is start at a short distance (15-20 yards) and shoot a round or two at the bullseye. Then put the gun in a rest or vice with the crosshairs on the bullseye and then move the crosshairs to the bullet.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 pm
Posts: 562
Location: Smyrna, DE
JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money

Take the upper off the lower, pull the bolt out then lay the upper on something steady & look through the bore & sight it through the bore at an object. Then just adjust the scope to the same object. Doesn't have to be a long distance but that should put you on the paper at 25 yds.

_________________
" I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six "


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 1193
Location: Bear
cj45lc wrote:
JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money

Take the upper off the lower, pull the bolt out then lay the upper on something steady & look through the bore & sight it through the bore at an object. Then just adjust the scope to the same object. Doesn't have to be a long distance but that should put you on the paper at 25 yds.

^ I've done this myself. Worked just fine with my AR.

_________________
"... I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind... Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." - 1785 August 19. (Jefferson to Peter Carr).


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 146
Location: Claymont
cj45lc wrote:
JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money

Take the upper off the lower, pull the bolt out then lay the upper on something steady & look through the bore & sight it through the bore at an object. Then just adjust the scope to the same object. Doesn't have to be a long distance but that should put you on the paper at 25 yds.



Agreed.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 am
Posts: 27
cj45lc wrote:
JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money


If you'd like I can prolly start bringing up other things people think are wastes of money?? Then we can completely high jack the thread and go off topic :banghead:

But the more I read I think taking the bolt out is the easier way to go. Thanks for the input!

_________________
None can love freedom heartily, but good men... the rest love not freedom, but license. - John Milton


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 pm
Posts: 562
Location: Smyrna, DE
ScreamingSilence wrote:
cj45lc wrote:
JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money


If you'd like I can prolly start bringing up other things people think are wastes of money?? Then we can completely high jack the thread and go off topic :banghead:

But the more I read I think taking the bolt out is the easier way to go. Thanks for the input!



Wow...I thought you had asked if you thought the boresight would be a waste of money in your original post

Sorry if I pissed on your Corn Flakes :lol:

_________________
" I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six "


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 am
Posts: 27
cj45lc wrote:
ScreamingSilence wrote:
cj45lc wrote:
JMO here but for an AR it is a waste of money


If you'd like I can prolly start bringing up other things people think are wastes of money?? Then we can completely high jack the thread and go off topic :banghead:

But the more I read I think taking the bolt out is the easier way to go. Thanks for the input!



Wow...I thought you had asked if you thought the boresight would be a waste of money in your original post

Sorry if I pissed on your Corn Flakes :lol:


Clearly I should not have read and commented after a long day of drinking :toilet:

I'm too used to other sites where people go way off topic for no reason at all

Thanks for the bolt idea tho. I'd read about doing that but wasnt 100% sure how to take the bolt out...was WAY easier than I thought.

_________________
None can love freedom heartily, but good men... the rest love not freedom, but license. - John Milton


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 pm
Posts: 562
Location: Smyrna, DE
Good deal, glad you got it figured out

was just trying to give you an idea that worked great for me

_________________
" I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six "


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Boresights
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:02 pm
Posts: 4111
Location: Pencader Hundred
ScreamingSilence wrote:
... Clearly I should not have read and commented after a long day of drinking :toilet: ....
That's a big 10-4.

And, if that's a problem you have to deal with, make sure when you know when to lock the guns away.

_________________
-Boots
Have Gun—Will Travel

Si vis pacem, para bellum


 Profile  


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group