Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #99671  by Roach

I have a colt 1911 5 inch barrel. I bought Pmc hollow points, I loaded my mags and checked the round. And out of 7 rounds 5 of the hollow points were pushed back into the casing even more. Any one have any idea what to do to fix this?

Edit: I did a function check with the rounds. Loaded a mag and kept pulling back the slide to make sure they feed. Upon inspecting the ejected rounds did I see the bullet pushed into the casing. Thank you.
Last edited by Roach on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #99674  by Owen

Roach wrote:I have a colt 1911 5 inch barrel. I bought Pmc hollow points, I loaded my mags and checked the round. And out of 7 rounds 5 of the hollow points were pushed back into the casing even more. Any one have any idea what to do to fix this?
First off don't shoot them! They sound like the crimp is weak/bad. I'd return them for a refund as they are defective and very unsafe.
 #99675  by Roach

I made a quick edit, with some more details, typing is not my strong skill.

I have two boxes of these hollow points and will try the other and see if there is a difference.
 #99678  by myopicvisionary

Measure the overall length of the rounds before chambering and then again after. How much setback has occurred?
 #99688  by Roach

1/16 of an inch
 #99690  by myopicvisionary

That should not be a problem. The issue is when loading and unloading the same round continually.
 #99700  by Roach

Yes
 #99816  by littlephilly

myopicvisionary wrote:That should not be a problem. The issue is when loading and unloading the same round continually.
What happens?
 #99818  by myopicvisionary

Continually clearing your pistol for practice and then reloading and chambering the same defensive round afterwards will push the bullet deeper into the case. Depending on the severity, this can push chamber pressures too high and cause damage.
 #99820  by dave_in_delaware

It'll also turn your hollow point into a FMJ round, with no hope of expansion if fired into something.