Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #100432  by 9mmjohn

So I ended up going to Elk Neck State Park, my buddy wanted to join me and it was closer to his house, instead of Ommelanden last night. I put 185 rounds through. First time shooting a hand gun. Im addicted now. So. I noticed after the first two magazines that even though I am lining up the sights at the center of the target, my shots are drifting the the lower left of the target. i did a little research and some said it could be the sights? Would it be worth replacing the sights or upgrading them?

I changed up just about everything I knew while I was there. I started in the Weaver stance, that quickly changed. I found myself ducking my head a little bit instead of bringing the firearm all the way up to my line of sight. Is that wrong? I started to zero in towards the end. (i put 5 shots into a skoal can at 20ft)

Maybe I am "jumping the gun" with all this and over thinking. I don't know. But next paycheck=more rounds
 #100433  by Kuntryboy816

Last edited by Kuntryboy816 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #100436  by soundman2345

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Image

:lol: (just on the first chart)
 #100437  by Kuntryboy816

Go with the 1st chart, it's more motivational!! :D

The 2nd chart you just mirror image if you're left handed.

Also I'm assuming that you put 5 shots on a paper target equal to the size of a skoal can...yeah, that's what you meant. MD gun laws are strict enough without breaking the range rules as well. :banghead:
 #100439  by Owen

9mmjohn wrote:So I ended up going to Elk Neck State Park, my buddy wanted to join me and it was closer to his house, instead of Ommelanden last night. I put 185 rounds through. First time shooting a hand gun. Im addicted now. So. I noticed after the first two magazines that even though I am lining up the sights at the center of the target, my shots are drifting the the lower left of the target. i did a little research and some said it could be the sights? Would it be worth replacing the sights or upgrading them?

I changed up just about everything I knew while I was there. I started in the Weaver stance, that quickly changed. I found myself ducking my head a little bit instead of bringing the firearm all the way up to my line of sight. Is that wrong? I started to zero in towards the end. (i put 5 shots into a skoal can at 20ft)

Maybe I am "jumping the gun" with all this and over thinking. I don't know. But next paycheck=more rounds
I'm no expert but shooting consistently low could be your sight picture or anticipation of the recoil (flinching). Anticipation is common and will take some time to get over but it will lessen as you get more comfortable shooting. Sight picture is how you are lining up the front and rear sight. I've always been told to watch the front sight this helps me. But there again practice makes perfect. I only replace sights when I have a hard time seeing them due to either low light (need night sights) or color contrast. I know as I get older I find that my eyes like a different front color/shape than the rear.
 #100442  by ptlion

I'm a lefty shooter so my shots were going down and to the right. I've adjusted a little (finger placement on the trigger, loosened the grip on my right hand and tried to equal that grip with my left hand grip...I guess that makes sense). I went to the range yesterday (also tried NOT to anticipate recoil). First shot (out of 100 rounds) hit dead center on target :pbjtime: Just about every shot after that was low but center. I did hit dead center one more time when I calmed down and relaxed again.

The good thing is, if I ever had to fire in a defensive situation (preferably not ever being in that type of situation), I'll hit center...it may be a head shot or center mass depending on my aim. :sparring: . Working on being a better shooter is more for the fun of it. Note: I've only had a handgun for about 9 months and counting now. :troll:
 #100443  by ptlion

Oh and I forgot to add..my S&W SDE9 has a long and hard trigger pull so I'm also getting used to that too.
 #100444  by Kuntryboy816

Come out to Action Pistol night! It trains you on how to fire under stress and still be accurate. I can't stress how much it's helped me to control my shot, think about what I'm doing and still be accurate while moving around. The confidence it builds that you can handle a S/D situation is priceless.

The main thing to remember is do not try and keep up with the more experienced shooters! They started where we're at and we'll eventually make it to the level they're at.
 #100446  by soundman2345

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Come out to Action Pistol night! It trains you on how to fire under stress and still be accurate. I can't stress how much it's helped me to control my shot, think about what I'm doing and still be accurate while moving around. The confidence it builds that you can handle a S/D situation is priceless.

The main thing to remember is do not try and keep up with the more experienced shooters! They started where we're at and we'll eventually make it to the level they're at.
+1 It really lifts your spirits when you see that you're getting better.