Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #100447  by Owen

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Come out to Action Pistol night! It trains you on how to fire under stress and still be accurate. I can't stress how much it's helped me to control my shot, think about what I'm doing and still be accurate while moving around. The confidence it builds that you can handle a S/D situation is priceless.

The main thing to remember is do not try and keep up with the more experienced shooters! They started where we're at and we'll eventually make it to the level they're at.
^ THis!

I have been shooting ap for awhile and some nights I'm in the top ten :D other nights I'm in the bottom ten :lol: but I still have a lot of fun! 8-) We don't usually shoot more that a box of 50 but folks can stick around if you want to get in a few more. There is usually a member who will hang out.
 #100448  by 9mmjohn

Action pistol is at DSPC right? from their site i can only determine that its a competition? I've read "action pistol" being thrown around on here a couple times but i don't really know what it actually is. I know what DSPC is and I don't really have the $$$ for the right now, but soon enough I shall. So can someone explain what a first timer would do at Action Pisto :?:
 #100449  by Piazza

I wouldn't touch the sights until you know your technique is sound. you will do more harm than good. I was having similar shooting problems when I started out (and still do on many days).

Two things to make sure you are doing:
1) should be pulling the trigger with the first knuckle of your finger (roughly, everyone is a little different).
2) make sure you are pulling the trigger all the way to the end of the travel. when you 'slap' or 'jerk' the trigger it pushes. Exaggerate a bunch of rounds, actually hold the trigger back after the shot so you consciously think about it. This also helps you find the trigger reset point on a new gun.

Those two things alone really helped me bring my grouping in center, but I'm by no means an instructor.

Good luck!
 #100451  by Owen

9mmjohn wrote:Action pistol is at DSPC right? from their site i can only determine that its a competition? I've read "action pistol" being thrown around on here a couple times but i don't really know what it actually is. I know what DSPC is and I don't really have the $$$ for the right now, but soon enough I shall. So can someone explain what a first timer would do at Action Pistol :?:
Action Pistol or "AP" as the "in crowd" call it ( :lol: ) is open to the public at 6PM every Monday night and the second and fourth Wednesday of the month. Cost is $5 for non-DSPC members $3 for members. You'll need a strong side holster and two or more magazines. Your holster should be outside the waist band unless you have permit. A box of 50 rounds should suffice. Show up around 5:15-5:30PM) the first time you come you need to 'qualify'. To qualify you have to follow commands to load, draw and shoot five rounds at your own pace and hit a 8 1/2 x 11" target back from 7 yards. You can try twice if you don't get it the first time. Once you've done that you are good to go.

Note: If you carry in you'll need to first go to a safe location (usually one of the benches facing the wall) and unload your carry mag any in the chamber an clear your pistol. You can then re-holster it empty for the duration. Only load when directed to.

There are three courses of fire (COF) each time that vary. They can be from 5 yards to 20 but usually in the 7-10 yard range. Multiple targets are engaged with multiple shots each. Sometimes you have to move and shoot other times standing. We have courses where you use cover or even sit or prone.

You are always welcome to come and try it out or even just watch. There are always plenty of knowledgeable people there to help. Shrek is in charge and radnor helps out and I am usually there as well.

Search on here you'll find other good info or use the email link off the DSPC home page.
Last edited by Owen on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #100455  by 9mmjohn

^^^ very useful information. thanks. Ill be sure to stop by on Monday to check it out. Not sure if I'll participate but I definitely want to watch
 #100456  by myopicvisionary

Do not change your sights! Far too many beginners are constantly fiddling with their sights. Concentrate on proper sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Once you are consistently shooting a tight group at about fifty feet, then adjust your sights.
 #100457  by ptlion

I was pretty sure that I didn't have a site issue when I had a friend shoot my firearm at the range with no issues. It was clear that my shooting issue is with..er...the user! :censored: But, it just means that I've gotta work on ME!!! :applause:
 #100458  by Owen

ptlion wrote:I was pretty sure that I didn't have a site issue when I had a friend shoot my firearm at the range with no issues. It was clear that my shooting issue is with..er...the user! :censored: But, it just means that I've gotta work on ME!!! :applause:
Yeah I've been there. I put new sights on to get better contrast. Orange front and green rear. I shot ok with them. Then Shrek tried them out and pretty much shot out the center of the target. :shock: I need more practice. :P