[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/sitesplat/bbootsminicms/event/listener.php on line 178: Undefined array key "SITESPLAT_SEARCH_LAST_DAY"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/sitesplat/bbootsminicms/event/listener.php on line 185: Undefined array key "SITESPLAT_SEARCH_LAST_DAY"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/sitesplat/bbootsminicms/event/listener.php on line 178: Undefined array key "SITESPLAT_SEARCH_WEEK"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/sitesplat/bbootsminicms/event/listener.php on line 185: Undefined array key "SITESPLAT_SEARCH_WEEK"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/sitesplat/bbootsminicms/event/listener.php on line 139: Undefined array key "MAIN_FORUM"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/sitesplat/bbootsminicms/event/listener.php on line 146: Undefined array key "MAIN_TRENDS"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/sitesplat/bbootsminicms/event/listener.php on line 146: Undefined array key "MAIN_MAIN_STUFF"
belts - Page 2 - Delaware Open Carry
Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
  by GatorDude

What you are describing sounds to me like major overkill. Are you trying to defend yourself or look silly?

You going to pack handcuffs too?
  by myopicvisionary

To use a Sam Browne belt, you need an under belt and keepers to ensure that everything stays in place. The image projected to the public will only serve those who look for reasons to chop away at our rights.
  by M.Brown

i was just asking about them because, like i said "I'M NEW" to the whole open carry thing. I met someone who was open carrying (not a leo) and he was wearing a full "dutybelt" w/light, mag pouches, gun, cell phone, and i believe he even had a thing of mace or pepper spray or something. i thought to myself, is that how this works? or is he training to be a ninja? when i met Dave, he wasn't wearing all that stuff? at that point i figured, i would ask the people that i thought would know the most about the subject what they thought. i personally only carry an xd with a serpa, and maybe a mag pouch. just wanted to know if this was something "others" were doing?
  by dave_in_delaware

I think there's a fine line between carrying a gun and the related accessories and looking like a mall ninja. That line, of course, will vary from person to person. I think a duty belt is overkill. I don't think any of us want to look like an on-duty cop in street clothes. So a "normal" belt should be fine.

As for accessories, I think a spare mag or two and a flashlight would be normal equipment for self-defense. Maybe not even all on the belt itself. Nothing wrong with a flashlight or mag in a pocket. Just so you can get to it quickly if needed.

I use a regular store-bought 1.25" wide belt. It suits my purposes just fine. The SERPA hooks around it and provides plenty of "grip" for holster retention to the belt.

If I were to buy an actual gun belt (which is usually just thicker leather compared to a regular belt), I would check out AGN Leather Expanded (the leather belt place in the Farmer's Market, across from the open stage area, next to the wireless store). They have gun belt "blanks" that they'll size and hole punch for you, different widths, too. Reasonably priced as well.

As for your question "is that how this works?" only you can answer that for yourself. Some people don't carry a spare mag. Some don't carry a flashlight. Some carry 2 spare mags. Some carry a back up gun. Some carry stuff on their belts. Some carry stuff in their pockets. Just remember that a magazine feed spring can fail. So you might want to have a spare mag handy (it's not that you think you'll really need 30 rounds of ammo, but because the equipment could fail). Sometimes you may be in low light or darkness. So you might want a flashlight. And a cell phone is always a good idea if you have one.

Only you can answer "how this works" best for you, and what makes you feel safest walking around.
  by Mr.Skellington

I took the advice of another member (Radnor) and got a nice thick Amish belt from here http://www.hanksclothing.com/belts.html for only $25. It works great and the price can't be beat.

I am looking for another 'gun' belt myself but in another color. I intend to get a stiff double thick belt (not a duty belt since that would look goofy). The purpose of a 'gun' belt is to evenly distribute the weight of the gun. I know many people use clothing store bought belts and I use them too but I've read that a good 'gun' belt makes carrying much more comfortable and is as important as the holster itself. A common statement is "Why didn't I get one of these sooner".

I'm currently looking at belts that look like ordinary department store belts but are made for carrying. I'll post what I get when I get it...when I decide which one too.
  by Tony T

Shawn,

Those NRA belts look like regular dress belts, but they are double ply and have a stiff plastic re-enforcing strip sewn between. The embossed logo is not really noticeable at all. You'll have to check mine out next time I catch up with you.
  by myopicvisionary

If you see me OCing, all you will see is my M1911 in a SERPA holster. A SureFire flashlight and a spare magazine are in my pockets.
  by jslacker

not even a store bought belt?
  by myopicvisionary

I leave my shirt untucked.
  by Mr.Skellington

Tony T wrote:Shawn,

Those NRA belts look like regular dress belts, but they are double ply and have a stiff plastic re-enforcing strip sewn between. The embossed logo is not really noticeable at all. You'll have to check mine out next time I catch up with you.
Definitely. I'm looking for dressier belts than the Amish ones for when I wear slacks and the NRA belt looks like it'll fit the bill.