Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #59567  by Lascivious1

Recently purchased a new handgun. A Ruger SR9c to be exact. When i got the gun i bought a small cleaning kit from X-Ring while.i was there. Figure i would need it eventually. Anyway when i wanted to clean the gun after a few hundred rounds passed through i noticed in the kit it only had one bottle of oil which says itd for cleaning and lubricating.
Im not real happy about that. I would rather use it for cleaning but some seperate oil for lubrication.

So, my question is how many use the same oil to clean and also lubricate their firearm and if not what is some of the best oil i can use to keep my trusty gun lubricated after i give it a real good cleeaning?
 #59570  by jslacker

I generally use some type of solvent first, I am using Hoppes number 9 currently, then use a few drops of Hoppes lube to finish it off.
 #59581  by jslacker

Hoppes is very popular, you can pick it up almost any place that sells anything related to firearms. Walmart, Kmart, Dicks, X-Ring...
 #59582  by Condition1

I use CLP breakfree for cleaning and oil (FP-10) for lubrication. I have not used solvents on my guns in a long long time. Also, I don't like scrubbing the barrel I prefer to run a boresnake 3-4 times through the barrel.

You can get all three items at X-Ring.
 #59588  by Lascivious1

Condition1 wrote:I use CLP breakfree for cleaning and oil (FP-10) for lubrication. I have not used solvents on my guns in a long long time. Also, I don't like scrubbing the barrel I prefer to run a boresnake 3-4 times through the barrel.

You can get all three items at X-Ring.
When you say a boresnake what do you mean? A bore with a cotton clothe on the end or the metal bristles? Yeh i wasnt to keen on the idea of using metal.bristles to clean out the barrel. I rather take a piece of clothes soaked in cleaning oil or whatever i suppose to use and rub tue inside.of the barrel unless you guys think there is a better or correct way to do it?
 #59590  by astro_wanabe

Lascivious1 wrote:When you say a boresnake what do you mean? A bore with a cotton clothe on the end or the metal bristles? Yeh i wasnt to keen on the idea of using metal.bristles to clean out the barrel. I rather take a piece of clothes soaked in cleaning oil or whatever i suppose to use and rub tue inside.of the barrel unless you guys think there is a better or correct way to do it?
A boresnake is a cloth tube with a string you use to pull it through your bore. Most have bristles for light scrubbing. The bristles are bronze so they won't (atleast, they shouldn't) scratch your barrel. Here's an example:
Personally I dissasemble the firearm even when cleaning with a bore snake so I can clean the internal mechanisms. Some people don't like the idea of soiling a bore snake on the first pass through, then having to re-feed a soiled cloth through the bore over and over and would rather just use a new, clean patch on a rod for each pass. Even if you use a rod & patch you still might need to use a bore brush on the rod if you have especially large deposits but generally I don't need to.

Which chemical to use is personal preference - some people can argue over cleaning brands more than they argue over firearm brands. WeaponShield is a cleaner that's supposed to form a protective barrier on the metal over time so future cleanings are easier, CLP is widely used, and I'm currently using Hoppe's #9 just because I happen to have a lot of the stuff. If you have really bad copper buildup there are bore foams that you fill the inside of your barrel with and they dissolve the copper. I certainly recommend wearing gloves, at the very least for the bore foam but probably a good idea for the other solvents as well. I recommend that you don't contaminate your solvent/oil containers by dipping directly into them, instead I pour some into a small cup or just put a few drops directly onto the patches.

What brand and type of cleaning kit did you get from X-Ring?
 #59593  by Condition1

Lascivious1, the boresnake is illustrated on the pic above. There are many ways to use one, the picture illustrates using it without field stripping the gun...which I don't like much. When I first started shooting I had pretty much every kind of solvent and oil and grease....and rods and brushes....with time I developed my own method, which can be argued but works for me - many thousands rounds without failures and my guns look great.

I always field strip my guns after shooting, and I disassemble around 1500-2000 rounds. When I field strip I spray the barrel with CLP inside out and let it seat. I use a tooth brush with a patch soaked on CLP and run through the slide (rails) and frame, wherever I see it is dirty. I keep doing that (soaked and dry patchs) until the patch comes out clean, not OCD clean LOL. I go back to the barrel and pass the bore snake three or four times, run a patch through it to make sure it is clean, if not I spray CLP again and run the boresnake and patch again.

I remove all excess and apply a good quality oil (FP-10) on the places the manufacturer suggests for lubrication. As I said, it works for me.

Note - this process I use for all guns, however the only one I completely disassemble are 1911s. Glocks I would let them run until the trigger gets gritty. Some guns are easier to disassemble than others, 1911s and Glocks are very very easy. If you are not comfortable doing it, don't do it. If you feel the trigger is starting to feel heavier (after many thousands of rounds) send it to manufacturer for cleaning. Also always follow the manual for proper care. As time goes by you will develop your own methods and spend more time shooting than cleaning.
 #59595  by myopicvisionary

I use a boresnake and CLP at the range after training is done. At home I fieldstrip the firearm and give all parts a good wipedown with a CLP wet rag. High wear areas like frame rails get Lubriplate. After reassembly, the exterior is thoroughly wiped down with a silicone cloth. Reload and return to holster.
 #59618  by Lascivious1

astro_wanabe wrote:
Lascivious1 wrote:When you say a boresnake what do you mean? A bore with a cotton clothe on the end or the metal bristles? Yeh i wasnt to keen on the idea of using metal.bristles to clean out the barrel. I rather take a piece of clothes soaked in cleaning oil or whatever i suppose to use and rub tue inside.of the barrel unless you guys think there is a better or correct way to do it?

What brand and type of cleaning kit did you get from X-Ring?
It is the Kleenbore handgun kit. just comes with a box of clothes,bore stem with a couple attatchments and sometype of oil used to clean and lubricate the gun with a silicone cloth wipe.
I want to get seperate cleaning agent and oil for lube. im hoping tomorrow morning i can get over Omme and shoot off a couple hundred rounds before hte afternoon and give it another cleaning.
BTW, is it a problem if i clean it after each use at the range? say 100-200 rounds each time or should i wait till i blow through a few hundred or more rnds before each clean. i want the gun to last a real long time.