Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #69707  by dave_in_delaware

Tractor Supply Co has them out where you can check them out. Well, the Parkesburg one does at least. If you were serious about buying I'm sure they'd let you inspect them and "test" them.

If you want, I'll make it a point to go to the local gun store here. I think they sell safes. I can look and report back.
 #69715  by Lascivious1

dave_in_delaware wrote:Tractor Supply Co has them out where you can check them out. Well, the Parkesburg one does at least. If you were serious about buying I'm sure they'd let you inspect them and "test" them.

If you want, I'll make it a point to go to the local gun store here. I think they sell safes. I can look and report back.
Oh im very srious about buying a safe!
Dave, are you talking about Liberty safes and do you remember if they had hindges on the inside?
Finally talked on the phone with one Liberty merchant and he says that the only safes they sell that are american made are the ones on their site. so i guess all the ones we see at cabelas,lowes, etc are china stuff.

Im off monday so i think ill take a ride up to TM and see what they got.
 #69728  by Mirlen

Just pay special attention to the total steel used, especially in the low to mid-range safes. Many mfg are just making the door LOOK thick but it's mostly in the mechanical area and isn't solid and the barrier steel is pitiful 11 gauge steel or worse which could be cut with a saw pretty easily. Of course most budgets aren't bottomless so some budget has to be set but just don't get caught up in fluff and sacrifice steel thickness in this price range.
 #69729  by Lascivious1

Mirlen wrote:Just pay special attention to the total steel used, especially in the low to mid-range safes. Many mfg are just making the door LOOK thick but it's mostly in the mechanical area and isn't solid and the barrier steel is pitiful 11 gauge steel or worse which could be cut with a saw pretty easily. Of course most budgets aren't bottomless so some budget has to be set but just don't get caught up in fluff and sacrifice steel thickness in this price range.
Got it!
 #69742  by Mirlen

When I was pricing these things out a long time ago I swung by this place:

http://www.wilsonsafe.com/

They had quite a few safes on the showroom floor that you can check out... If you're near Philly sometime, swing by and give'em a visit!
 #69750  by Lascivious1

Just going in TM today i found out alot about safes.
I know now i dont want to buy one unless i get to see it first hand.

one thing i found out is the liberty safes in Lowes are made in USA and half if not more of the libery safes on their website are made in china. the guy at TM showed me where and how to look this info up since i had so many questions.

I was also shocked to find that one safe for $1300 was the same price as a safe that was 2 times the size of it. and the only reason the smaller safe was a higher price was becasue of the fire proctection. which i dont even care about since i have full insurance on everything i own. well almost everything... not my toothbrush lol

Anyway i have narrowed it down to a Liberty Colonial 23 gun safe marked at $1300 damn thing is huge though. i still dont know if i should get such a big safe. it just bothers me that if im gonna spend that money for a smaller safe just because its fire protection is better i rather get the bigger one.

Anyway i learned alot today. im about a month away fro geting my safe so its crunch time.

BTW, if i decide to get a safe that is in philly or MD anyone want to lend me their truck to go get it? ill gas her up!! :D
 #69772  by astro_wanabe

Lascivious1 wrote:I was also shocked to find that one safe for $1300 was the same price as a safe that was 2 times the size of it. and the only reason the smaller safe was a higher price was becasue of the fire proctection. which i dont even care about since i have full insurance on everything i own. well almost everything... not my toothbrush lol
You still might want to consider getting one of those small fire boxes to give extra protection for your documents - SS card, birth certificate, titles, etc. Replacing some of those things can be more time consuming and expensive than getting the $50 box.
Lascivious1 wrote:BTW, if i decide to get a safe that is in philly or MD anyone want to lend me their truck to go get it? ill gas her up!! :D
And fix the suspension afterwards? ;)
 #69773  by WPCatfish

Lascivious1 wrote: i still dont know if i should get such a big safe.
You should see if they make an even bigger one.
 #69778  by Lascivious1

WPCatfish wrote:
Lascivious1 wrote: i still dont know if i should get such a big safe.
You should see if they make an even bigger one.
Yeah I decided to get the big one. But now I have decided I may get a rhino safe which is another American made safe and price is better for the same type safe and quality. I want the model 56 but gotta find a closer way to get it.