Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #71897  by bluedog46

Frank wrote:Kershaw makes a very good knife, I have several. Bluedog will treat you right. I personnally carry a Benchmade assisted opener. Benchmade (in my opinion) does a better job of tempering it's steel, resulting in a sharper, longer lasting edge. I have compared Benchmade with several name makers, and with the same steel (540 cm, or S 30 v), the Benchmade edge is better.
Be aware about the Delaware law concerning knife blades longer than 3 inches.
That benchmade was sweet that you showed me at our last meeting Frank. That is a bit rich for my blood, but I might just pick one up for my collection
 #71899  by radnor

Frank wrote:Be aware about the Delaware law concerning knife blades longer than 3 inches.
INCLUDES the "little bit" that is exposed and NOT sharpened. In Del, I dont worry about it, as I keep my CCDW on me at all times.
 #71965  by Frank

Trevor, those pull through "V's" do a good job, are cheap to buy, easy to use (no worries about correct angle), and are very portable. They are an excellent choice when you do not want to carry your sharpening stones, or have trouble with angles. Smith's makes one for $29.95 which has three "V's", two are adjustable for angle (carbide and ceramic), and one for serrated edges. I got one at Willey knives, it does a good job, even on serrated edges. I was skeptical about the serrated edges, but it does a good job. Here is a link: www.smithsedge.com. It is a bit large for the pocket, but reasonably portable.
 #71966  by jslacker

Frank wrote:Trevor, those pull through "V's" do a good job, are cheap to buy, easy to use (no worries about correct angle), and are very portable. They are an excellent choice when you do not want to carry your sharpening stones, or have trouble with angles. Smith's makes one for $29.95 which has three "V's", two are adjustable for angle (carbide and ceramic), and one for serrated edges. I got one at Willey knives, it does a good job, even on serrated edges. I was skeptical about the serrated edges, but it does a good job. Here is a link: http://www.smithsedge.com. It is a bit large for the pocket, but reasonably portable.
Question about those pull through v's. I have a low end one with the diamond stick for sharpening the serrations. It has the two sections ceramic and carbide. I remember when I first bought it reading in the directions that for an extremely dull edge you should start with the ____ side first then a few pulls through the ______ side. For just regular dull blades drag it through the ____ side a few times. Only problem I have is I forgot which side to start with, also Im sure I did it correct the first tome and the results weren't all that great. Just wondering if I did it wrong or if the sharpener I have is cheap and dosent work like others out on the market. The model I have is a Smiths BTW link: http://www.smithsproducts.com/products/ ... =46&cid=38

EDIT: After looking at the link provided above I have figured out which slot to use first... IDK maybe I'm not using enough or too much pressure because im finding the edge to not be as sharp as I would like. Maybe I'm not capable of achieving the edge I'm looking for with this sharpening tool.
 #71996  by bluedog46

I go EXTREMELY slow with a serrated edge when I use a pull through.

I had seen a couple sharpeners that have a rod for the serrations and pullthrough for the straight part.
 #72027  by Frank

Jslacker, if your knife has a good hard steel, it can take 200 pulls or more to sharpen. Start with the carbide, the creamic is a fine grit to finish the edge.
 #72028  by jslacker

Frank wrote:Jslacker, if your knife has a good hard steel, it can take 200 pulls or more to sharpen. Start with the carbide, the creamic is a fine grit to finish the edge.
WOW! :shock: 200 pulls! I definitely did not pull through enough times then. Thanks for that Frank I know what Im doing when I got off of work today.
 #72895  by oceanrods

My EDC is a CRKT M16. Love the CRKT knives. I also CRKT M60 (which is a beast of a knife) and the Ultima is in my BOB. I have tried all the big names but like the CRKT the best. They offer some pretty unique products. I purchased my wife one of their iPhone cases. Was quite impressed with it.
 #77252  by dave_in_delaware

Update: I did obtain the CUTCO 2-3/4" lockback knife with the Double-D edge. It is now my daily carry knife. I use it at the farm almost daily. It's wicked sharp (my wife is afraid to use it. LOL). Very lightweight, too. I'd recommend this knife to anyone (and not just because I'm a CUTCO sales rep). I love this knife! :D