Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #73995  by jslacker

Hey guys and gals, I am getting more into flashlights and before I started shelling out money I wanted to do some more research. I bought a Streamlight Stylus Pro (a pen light) from Dicks last week for $24.99 and was bit by the flashlight bug. I see there a ton of different manufacturers for flashlights and 2 times the amount of different options for the actual light.

So far I know of Surefire being top notch and pricey, Streamlight being mid tier and Fenix being another top of the line producer. I remember researching a company called EagleTac last year for a flashlight and am still liking them.

Can anybody here shed some light 8-) on this subject for me? Whats your EDC light?
 #73997  by bmel17

I'm a fan of olights. I also have a crap load of cheap cost chinese rechargeable lights as well all over the house.
 #74007  by jslacker

I am seeing a lot of stuff for Elzetta lights, is this a new company or have they been around for a while? I made a short list of manufacturers that I would consider buying off of and Klarus was on that list. Thanks for the link fd...
bmel17 wrote:I'm a fan of olights. I also have a crap load of cheap cost chinese rechargeable lights as well all over the house.
Checking out Olights, they appear to have some good stuff...The only thing I don't like is that you have to do some more legwork after figuring out which model you like to find the cost. That seems to be the norm on most of these manufacturers. What are these cheap Chinese brands you speak of?

My short list has become quite a long list of manufacturers... :banghead: I have selected 23 :roll: top manufacturers to weed through, I'm sure some will eliminate themselves when I see how much they retail for. I have found this website to be of use while I'm doing my research, just in case anyone is interested: Candle Power Forums
Last edited by jslacker on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #74021  by bmel17

On Ebay search Ultrafire. You can get sets with batteries and chargers. I have a ton of these. Either I end up losing them or washing them.... So I would rather have extras! I even broke one of my olights... I'm tough on flashlights!
 #74027  by whatevah

I'm a big fan of Fenix. I bought one 2 years ago when I bought my mom a Surefire E2D-led (sucks living in NYC, no guns, no tazer, no pepper spray...). Mine was under half the cost and just as bright. I wear it on my belt for work (EMS) and it hasn't let me down, dropped it several times onto concrete and still going strong. Bought one of the smaller AA battery models for a friend and it's almost as bright as mine.

I take my light whenever I'm carrying. Haven't practiced shooting with it yet though... I guess that's on my list for the next range trip.
 #74032  by Will H

When I was deployed I was issued a Phantom Flashlight. I have to say its the best light I ever used. Bright white light, tactical green and an IR setting to be used with nvg's.
 #74038  by bluedog46

I have an ultrafire that I did not buy batteries with :banghead: but I bought some and they are on the way.

Right now i carry a cheap made in china flashlight. It clips to my belt. Has a zoom and also one of those pulse type things that are like a blinking light. It also has the notches around the light that can be used for self defense.

Probalby three things most people should carry ( if able) is a gun, a knife, and a flashlight. Those three things can help you in many situations.

Streamlights used to be a good seller for me as I had a connection that go me some good prices, but people had not been asking for them much lately. This thread makes me think I should add some to go with the kinves.
 #74052  by jslacker

Will H wrote:When I was deployed I was issued a Phantom Flashlight. I have to say its the best light I ever used. Bright white light, tactical green and an IR setting to be used with nvg's.
I have little to no use for the IR setting. Can these Phantom brand flashlights be had in the civilian market? Other than the Warrior model in bright safety yellow I cant find a retailer for them.
whatevah wrote:I'm a big fan of Fenix. I bought one 2 years ago when I bought my mom a Surefire E2D-led (sucks living in NYC, no guns, no tazer, no pepper spray...). Mine was under half the cost and just as bright. I wear it on my belt for work (EMS) and it hasn't let me down, dropped it several times onto concrete and still going strong. Bought one of the smaller AA battery models for a friend and it's almost as bright as mine.

I take my light whenever I'm carrying. Haven't practiced shooting with it yet though... I guess that's on my list for the next range trip.
I have read good things about the Fenix brand (this is one of those you get what you pay for brands) Yeah, that's gotta be a drag to be pretty much defenseless, especially in a place like NYC. I definitely am looking to get a torch with a crenulated bezel for the extra impact weapon, or that tacticool look if nothing else. :lol: Surefires.... I just dont know if I can justify the cost, there must be a surefire kool-aide.
bluedog46 wrote:I have an ultrafire that I did not buy batteries with :banghead: but I bought some and they are on the way.

Right now i carry a cheap made in china flashlight. It clips to my belt. Has a zoom and also one of those pulse type things that are like a blinking light. It also has the notches around the light that can be used for self defense.

Probalby three things most people should carry ( if able) is a gun, a knife, and a flashlight. Those three things can help you in many situations.

Streamlights used to be a good seller for me as I had a connection that go me some good prices, but people had not been asking for them much lately. This thread makes me think I should add some to go with the kinves.
I think it may behoove you to restock and sell some lights to go with your other wears Bluedog.

OK guys this is not a complete list of manufacturers by any means, its just a little list that I put together from poking around the internet and from things people have told me. As I understand it these are some of the major players in the lighting game. Take a look and let me know if you have any experience or have heard a story from somebody about a particular brand on the list. Thank you to those of you who have contributed already. If you know of a brand that I should look into let me know.
  • 5.11 Tactical
  • Army Tek
  • !Blackhawk!
  • Crelant
  • Eagle-Tac
  • Elzetta
  • Fenix
  • Foursevens
  • Jetbean
  • Klarus
  • Lighten7
  • Lumapower