Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #82175  by MrCoolDale

The ol' drop leg rig. I have one that used for open carry while riding my motorcycle (I had a crotch rocket). It works great for that, but they suck for anything else. It's nice that you can get to your sidearm from nearly any position, but it's not comfortable. They walk with you. By that, I mean that they swing front to back. The only way to stop this is to tighten to the point that its uncomfortable.

Plus they just scream for attention. More than 3/4 of the people I run into while OCing don't notice. When I used my drop leg rig, people noticed from a mile away.

Unless you need it for a special purpose, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm actually getting ready to sell mine. There are so many other options out there. You can get a really good leather holster that rides somewhat low, but it's still on your belt, for a decent price.
 #82211  by gheart

I hear that a lot about the leg holsters... My only thing is, I would not want any of my shirts or jackets/coats/etc to "hide" the hip holster. Thats why I'm interested in something that rests a little lower, to make sure there is no way it could be considered concealed. I'm still searching all over the net. If you know of anything off the top of your head, post a link :)
 #82248  by Boots

MrCoolDale wrote:... Plus they just scream for attention. ... When I used my drop leg rig, people noticed from a mile away. ....
Same for western gun-belts and plain ol' SAA six-shooters!
 #82283  by MrCoolDale

Good point.

I'm not trying to say that these are a bad idea or that it warrants a terry stop, all I'm trying to say is that they tend to be more trouble than they're worth.
 #82298  by myopicvisionary

And they have a tactically bad habit of getting trapped in some of the chairs at our favorite restaurants.
 #86735  by Taurus247

I have a black hawk drop leg that i got while in the military and love it. Haven't used it since i got out but have seriously thought about it because I love them. Anyone actually used them for OC? Iv been OC for about a month now and haven't had a problem and i don't wanna tempt fate but am seriously considering this. Any other thoughts?
 #86741  by jslacker

Taurus247 wrote:...Any other thoughts?
Mall ninja.

No disrespect to you, actually quite the contrary thank you for your service. However a drop leg setup in the civilian world will garner that "mall ninja/tacticool" mystique... Just my two
 #86742  by Taurus247

jslacker wrote:
Mall ninja.

No disrespect to you, actually quite the contrary thank you for your service. However a drop leg setup in the civilian world will garner that "mall ninja/tacticool" mystique... Just my two
jslacker wrote:
I actually figured that would be most peoples response but figured I put it out there anyway. I guess ill save it for the range.
 #86767  by George

the serpa duty models ride lower then the concealment holsters by a couple of inches