Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #82924  by myopicvisionary

For home defense, a sling is not needed as the shotgun should not be used to clear your home. Think of a shotgun as artillery; fired from a fixed location into a known, plotted impact area. Your handgun is infantry; mobile to search and engage. My shotgun has two firing points. One from behind cover inside the bedroom targeting the bedroom doorway. Position two is from behind cover at the bedroom door aiming down the staircase into the first floor landing. Both firing lanes impact into a safe backstop. The shotgun does NOT leave the bedroom. If we hear something downstairs, I quietly deploy the shotgun to cover the door. Listening to identify the source and type of sound, I may move to the doorway to scan the first floor landing. IF; I repeat if, we decide that we have to investigate the noise. I will quietly go down to the first floor wearing my rollout gear and 1911 in hand. Mary will remain upstairs with the shotgun. No matter what, she stays put. She may have to defend herself. She may have to call the police or an ambulance. The staircase is No Man's Land. Anyone other than myself or the police coming up the stairs will see a bright flash and nothing else.

As for hunting, a simple sling for carrying your shotgun while keeping your hands free while getting to your stand or blind or dragging/carrying your kill back to the car is all you need. Any extra shells can be carried in your hunting coat pocket. If the weather is warm, a belt with shell loops is fine. A friend of mine used to carry shells in an old military 10 pocket cartridge belt that was used for M1 garand clips. Each pocket held three shells and cost him $5.00 at a flea market. Mourning dove is a hard target and can take a bunch of shells to limit out on.
 #82928  by Lascivious1

cslade454 wrote:The standard Vickers sling is $45 plus $12 for the quick release. This is the model I have. The savysniper is $59.95. I agree the model with the fancy metal buckle that cost $120 is not worth the cost unless you are a Navy seal.
Well im gonna get this sling....

http://www.amazon.com/Tactics-VTAC-UPGR ... roduct_top

and these attachments for the mossberg since my AR15 has similar attachments on the buttstock and gasblock.
http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-front ... hment.html

Two birds one stone :D
plus that sling is the upgradev ersion with the padded strap and rubber handle pull ofr adjustments. seams nice?
 #82929  by Lascivious1

myopicvisionary wrote:For home defense, a sling is not needed as the shotgun should not be used to clear your home. Think of a shotgun as artillery; fired from a fixed location into a known, plotted impact area. Your handgun is infantry; mobile to search and engage. My shotgun has two firing points. One from behind cover inside the bedroom targeting the bedroom doorway. Position two is from behind cover at the bedroom door aiming down the staircase into the first floor landing. Both firing lanes impact into a safe backstop. The shotgun does NOT leave the bedroom. If we hear something downstairs, I quietly deploy the shotgun to cover the door. Listening to identify the source and type of sound, I may move to the doorway to scan the first floor landing. IF; I repeat if, we decide that we have to investigate the noise. I will quietly go down to the first floor wearing my rollout gear and 1911 in hand. Mary will remain upstairs with the shotgun. No matter what, she stays put. She may have to defend herself. She may have to call the police or an ambulance. The staircase is No Man's Land. Anyone other than myself or the police coming up the stairs will see a bright flash and nothing else.

As for hunting, a simple sling for carrying your shotgun while keeping your hands free while getting to your stand or blind or dragging/carrying your kill back to the car is all you need. Any extra shells can be carried in your hunting coat pocket. If the weather is warm, a belt with shell loops is fine. A friend of mine used to carry shells in an old military 10 pocket cartridge belt that was used for M1 garand clips. Each pocket held three shells and cost him $5.00 at a flea market. Mourning dove is a hard target and can take a bunch of shells to limit out on.
Thanks Opic, yeah the sling is only for when i hunt. I'm not sure yet if ill duck/bird hunt. since i dont like the meat. but seams like it would be fun as hell. I'm all about the deer. I realize i would only need maybe 10 rounds and if things go right would only need 1 lol
 #82955  by cslade454

The Vtac is an excellent sling. There are many reason one might need to go hands free and not want to discard your long gun. I consider a sling mandatory on all defense long guns. You may need both hands to carry a child or injured love one to safety, climb, build barricades, restrain a bad guy etc. Kyle Lamb the inventor the the Vtac sling has more info in his books and you tube videos about this. IMHO his book is the single best AR train guide I have read. It should be mandatory for all new AR owners.