Login    

Register FAQ  •  Search    

· Home ·   Forums ·  Who Are We? ·  What is Open Carry? ·  CCDW Process ·  FAQ ·  Contact ·  Terms ·

Fundraiser to Support Delaware Open Carry!

We've come to that time of the year when our server lease and domain name registrations are coming up for renewal. In the past, many of you have expressed your generosity in the form of donations in order to keep the site running - I'm asking for your support again this year.

Please visit our donation information page for more details and, if you enjoy this site, if you've ever attended our gatherings or, if this community has brought you some knowledge or entertainment, please give what you can to keep us going.

→ Donation Information Page ←

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rechargeable CR123A Batteries?
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:11 pm 
Global Moderator

My Streamlight Scorpion uses two (2) CR123A batteries and they usually last me a month of normal off/on "household" use. I had gotten the flashlight from a dear friend (who has since passed away) along with a pack of batteries. I'm on my last pair of batteries now and now I am wondering:

Does anyone have/use rechargeable CR123A type batteries for their EDC flashlight? Or do they not keep a charge as long or perform as long as non-rechargeable ones? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

"You have to be prepared to do the violence in order to survive the violence."

Post subject: Re: Rechargeable CR123A Batteries?
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:21 pm 

I have a variety of lights that I run on CR123A's and only use rechargeable's. Since they are available in larger capacity than standard CR's I find the opposite. All depends on what you have. You do need to be somewhat careful with the larger capacity. My Fenix PD1 for example, can get a bit hot when I pop in a battery right off the charger and run it on turbo for a while, but I am aware of it and watch it accordingly. If you are looking for solid info on this topic I would recommend candlepowerforums and flashlightreviews by Selfbuilt. They are very knowledgeable on the subject.

The way to secure peace is to be prepared for war. Those who are on the guard and appear ready to receive their adversaries are in much less danger of attack than the secure, the supine, and the negligent." -Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:14 pm 

I have a set of rechargeable 123's, but I usually use 18650's for my EDC. I use the 18650's since you can get reg 123's pretty cheap around a $1 a piece off ebay and at gunshows. I keep a stock of the reg 123's for SHTF reasons. The better rechargeable batteries IMO are panasonics. As Oktane mentioned, check out CPF forum for reviews on batteries. It rocks!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:37 pm 

+1 on CPF

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 am 

I use the 18650's in lieu of the CR123A batts when I am running low. I got a recharger and 3 sets of the 18650's so I'm able to swap them around and keep 2 spare sets ready.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am 

You could borrow a set from me if you'd like to see them in action.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:05 pm 

Did you ever pick any batteries up Dave?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:05 pm 

bmel17 wrote:
Did you ever pick any batteries up Dave?

Hey man nice meeting you the other evening. Wish I had more time to chat..

What do you know about these charges that are supposed to charge non-rechargeables? This particular one was recommended on another forum and most of the reviews are good. I bought one just to give it a try. I'll let you check it out if you want...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00846 ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:19 am 

chrisleduc1 wrote:

Hey man nice meeting you the other evening. Wish I had more time to chat..

What do you know about these charges that are supposed to charge non-rechargeables? This particular one was recommended on another forum and most of the reviews are good. I bought one just to give it a try. I'll let you check it out if you want...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00846 ... UTF8&psc=1

Def, we'll have to do it again sometime.

Honestly, not much. I have heard you can, but I'm just wary of alkaline being recharged due to the leak factor. I'd hate to ruin something with leaked acid. Plus I have always heard it will explode and it is just a bad idea in general. Doing some research now.

I just looked on CPF and found this thread which basically says it's not really worth it. Well at least in the opinion of some. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?20321-Recharging-non-rechargeable-alkaline-batteries

I would like to get some C and D rechargeable batteries to keep around. I saw some sets at Wally World the other day... I'm gonna have to look into these for my maglights and other devices.

I would absolutely like to check the FC999 out and see what you think about it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 am 

Also on a related note:

The charger I just bought is this one: http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=18 Recharges lithium rechargeables. Ni-cd & Ni-mh too.

I prefer the eneloops for my regular AAA, AA uses. Can even put them in an adapter for C uses too. http://www.eneloop.info/home.html They won't leak and will hold a charge for quite a long time compared to alkaline.

You can find 18650's for that olight pretty cheap on ebay. I'd recommend getting ones that have 3100 mah for a longer lasting battery. If you really want great batteries get Nitecore or Panasonic brand ones that are protected. I have a few but they are pricey, used in my night stand torch exclusively. For the rest I use ultrafires I get off ebay. You can check out http://www.batteryjunction.com for faster shipping.

I also just ordered a 14500 (AA lithium rechargeable) for my olight S15. Supposedly gets more juice and lumens from it. I'm excited to try it out when it comes in.