Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.

SERPA 2 or SERPA 3

SERPA 2
100%
SERPA 3
No votes
0%
 #86888  by Taurus247

I have a SERPA 2 for my Taurus right now but since I am looking to get a new pistol and the two im looking at have the option of getting the SERPA 3 I wanted to see if anyone has used the SERPA 3 for everyday carry and what you think.
 #86900  by Kuntryboy816

Just wanted to throw up some reasoning behind my vote. Take it for what it's worth....

I don't have any experience with the Serpa3 or ony level 3 retention holster for that matter. Logically my head says, "More moving parts, es no bueno...." Each platform has it's pros and cons though. Here's my take on the Serpa3:

Con-
With the level 3 holster you'll have one more point of contact and a 2nd mechanism to contend with. This could potentially slow your draw or cause complications/hangups when drawing in an emergency situation. This point could be argued with non-retention vs retention (any level) holster all day long and the what-ifs are endless. Practice and regular equipment maintenance can make you very efficient and prevent failures or hangups but if a mechanism fails then it could place your safety or others at risk. Efficiency can be affected in high-stress situations as well. For example, if you're forced to draw down and during your draw, the front sight catches the flip fwd cap b/c you're hurrying to get on target before you become one. It could give the agressor that critical second or two to harm you before you can oppose or worse cause you to lose control of your sidearm. As I see it, any type of retention holster presents a mechanism that could fail and casue issues or safety risks. For EDC and safety's sake, I'd rather have some form of retention than none at all and I'm sure most would agree.

Pro-
A level 3 holster provides an extra layer of protection against loss of your weapon from any external elements whether it be a trip/fall or an attempt to disarm you. Safety is always paramount and as long as the equipment performs as it should and you practice enough to become adept with it, then the extra security is a great thing. If you look at how popular the Serpa2's are, it raises a concern that knowledge of how they work is becoming too attainable. I always think that, if someone attempted to disarm me, how easy would it be for them if they already know how the holster operates b/c they're so popular. While a level 3's operational info is just as procurable, you don't really see them as often so it may foil a potential snatcher. If you happen to fall on your strong side, it'll take more than some sort of projecting object to dislodge your weapon.

I like them both for different reasons and in different situations. From a safety POV, I'd take the Serpa3. I'd prefer the Serpa2 for the time that I would need it in my hand to nuetralize a threat (that's the reason we carry anyway, right). I just prefer a simpler, less complicated platform that minimizes the potential for failure or obstruction to target yet provides security for the majority of everyday life situations. K.I.S.S. (that's not a come-on) 8-)
I'm sure, with your military training in situational awareness, firearms and self-defense, that a Serpa2 would be a perfect suitable application for you IMHO.
 #86905  by whatevah

The Level 3 holster isn't available for as many guns as the normal Level 2 holster is (I don't see any Taurus models on the list), so you won'r find many people people using them outside of LEOs or security. I find the standard Serpa to be super easy to use, with minimal familiarization time if you already proper muscle memory for your index finger. I even use a Serpa in IDPA events (not that I'm very good at it, but never had an issue with the draw).

If you do go with a Level 3 (from any company), the key is practice. I'd say a minimum of hundred draws before I would use it while carrying for protection. Develop the muscle memory so where you don't even need to think about it, and you're good to go.
 #86946  by Taurus247

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Just wanted to throw up some reasoning behind my vote. Take it for what it's worth....

I don't have any experience with the Serpa3 or ony level 3 retention holster for that matter. Logically my head says, "More moving parts, es no bueno...." Each platform has it's pros and cons though. Here's my take on the Serpa3:

Con-
With the level 3 holster you'll have one more point of contact and a 2nd mechanism to contend with. This could potentially slow your draw or cause complications/hangups when drawing in an emergency situation. This point could be argued with non-retention vs retention (any level) holster all day long and the what-ifs are endless. Practice and regular equipment maintenance can make you very efficient and prevent failures or hangups but if a mechanism fails then it could place your safety or others at risk. Efficiency can be affected in high-stress situations as well. For example, if you're forced to draw down and during your draw, the front sight catches the flip fwd cap b/c you're hurrying to get on target before you become one. It could give the agressor that critical second or two to harm you before you can oppose or worse cause you to lose control of your sidearm. As I see it, any type of retention holster presents a mechanism that could fail and casue issues or safety risks. For EDC and safety's sake, I'd rather have some form of retention than none at all and I'm sure most would agree.

Pro-
A level 3 holster provides an extra layer of protection against loss of your weapon from any external elements whether it be a trip/fall or an attempt to disarm you. Safety is always paramount and as long as the equipment performs as it should and you practice enough to become adept with it, then the extra security is a great thing. If you look at how popular the Serpa2's are, it raises a concern that knowledge of how they work is becoming too attainable. I always think that, if someone attempted to disarm me, how easy would it be for them if they already know how the holster operates b/c they're so popular. While a level 3's operational info is just as procurable, you don't really see them as often so it may foil a potential snatcher. If you happen to fall on your strong side, it'll take more than some sort of projecting object to dislodge your weapon.

I like them both for different reasons and in different situations. From a safety POV, I'd take the Serpa3. I'd prefer the Serpa2 for the time that I would need it in my hand to nuetralize a threat (that's the reason we carry anyway, right). I just prefer a simpler, less complicated platform that minimizes the potential for failure or obstruction to target yet provides security for the majority of everyday life situations. K.I.S.S. (that's not a come-on) 8-)
I'm sure, with your military training in situational awareness, firearms and self-defense, that a Serpa2 would be a perfect suitable application for you IMHO.
Thank you for the breakdown and for the time you took to help me. You brought up a lot of the same things I was debating with myself about. There is a DST that comes into where I work and he uses a serpa 2 also. And with being comfortable with using the one i have now why change. So, with yours and whatevah's post and everyones votes... SERPA 2 it is! LOL

Plus there a whole lot cheaper.