Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #87487  by TexasJay

Hey folks. I'm looking to pick up some level IIIA soft armor inserts to fit a condor plate carrier (similar to whats seen in the "rollout kit" thread in this section) and also a level 4 plate.

My problem is I can't find anywhere that sells them locally (withing 30 min drive) that will sell to civilians. Can't find any online for reasonable prices.

I've decided level 3A is right for me for HD situations, as it stops most handgun rounds, and I'll eventually get a plate for SHTF situations.

So, anywhere know anywhere local to buy or internet sites?
 #87492  by spillanej

I can certainly help you with this. Be warned of two things:

Your product will be transferred to you through an ffl for a federal background check. Expect a $10 fee from the ffl. Attempts to procure body armor illicitly or with illegal intentions will be immediately reported to the fbi and atfe. I do not make exceptions on this rule.

Lead times vary greatly from 2 days to 5 weeks. I only receive fabric directly from dupont. No third party materials are used in my armor. Your life is worth too much to me to risk crappy fabric. If the aramid for your product comes in and does not pass my standards, it is immediately returned and reordered for your safety.
 #87493  by cslade454

Just curious. How does your FFL respond the question 18 On form 4473 "type of firearm" when they call NICS for the sale of body armor?
 #87494  by bmel17

cslade454 wrote:Just curious. How does your FFL respond the question 18 On form 4473 "type of firearm" when they call NICS for the sale of body armor?
x2

I am curious myself, since when does body armor have to be transferred by an FFL? It not that you implied that it must be done legally, but seems this is a preference. I am just wondering as to the reason for the transfer because as far as I am aware, BA is not a regulated item.
 #87495  by cslade454

I have received many adds for armor panel that fit in school book bags/backpacks. All for $80-$200 range. I guess you are looking for cheaper than that. Cheaper than Dirt imports condor from china because they are cheaper than dirt.

For real American made carriers and armor check out US Palms

http://www.uspalm.com/products/armor.html

James Yeager has a great video with some less expensive options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5srr5ixfOAg

I strongly recommend you discuss the wearing of body armor with a criminal defense attorney before you use deadly force for self defense while wearing armor.
 #87496  by TexasJay

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking for something cheap as dirt that won't do the job, yet I can't shell out a grand for armor & carrier. I was weighing my options and decided BA to be higher on my list of priorities vs say, another HD gun.

I too have trouble understanding how BA can be transfered by a FFL. Perhaps under the "other" check box. I've never heard of a FFL transferring armor.
 #87497  by astro_wanabe

If you're looking for a really cheap option, and don't plan to be wearing the armor for a long period of time (so weight isn't an issue), then you might want to check out http://www.AR500armor.com. $65 for their standard plate, $85 for a curved plate, side plates for ~$25.

It's also rated at Level III, which is a bit higher than the Level IIIA soft armor you were looking for (it'll handle .308 ball ammo) but less than Level IV (won't stop AP rounds). I'm not sure what threats you're envisioning exactly, but a Level III plate might be "good enough" for you to just buy one item instead of two. Perhaps you could spend the extra money on a trauma pad insert. Not sure if you really need a trauma pad with steel though, since there's roughly zero backside deformation compared to ceramic and fiber plates.
 #87498  by spillanej

Its more of an official unofficial thing. Im not taking a 26 year sentence because someone else doesnt know the law. They wouldnt keep records, just run a check.

If youre looking for the best quality I can help you, but body armor is a lot more dangerous to the dealer than firearms.
 #87499  by spillanej

I do recommend reconsidering your level of protection. Unless you are planning to face a militia, the extea weight is worthless. Only wear armor to protect you from threats you are prepared to fight. If youre carrying a pistol and the bad guy takes aim at you with a 7.62x54r. .. youre already dead.