Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #87520  by Daveman

Nice! I'm checking that site out when I get off work @ 7 tonight. Might place me a nice order for some things I still need.
 #87522  by astro_wanabe

TexasJay wrote:I just purchased a 600 lumen surefire light from botachtactical.com for my rollout kit. Its freaking amazing. Especially for $65. That coupled with a molle plate carrier, level 3 soft armor, and pistol coupled with an AR/870 I feel very confident in my ability to defend my castle.
All the Level 3 stuff I've seen was hard plate armor like level 4. Level 3A is soft armor.
 #87525  by spillanej

In that case, ceramic standalone multihit level 4 all the way. If you have an ar in your hands... more than likely you arent fighting for your life against pea shooters. Premade ballistic vests are way cheaper than a high quality custom. The real difference is in how many shots you want to take and walk away from. K29 type 745 kevlar aramid, 12 layers usually provides 6 shots of protection from .44mag sjhp with the barrel contacting the vest for each shot. I usually put 25 layers with 4 layers of carbon fiber and 3 layers of fiberglass surrounding it to protect from spalling which can cut through the kevlar. Carbon fiber and fiber glass tear easily on their own though with a tensile strength of 15 to 80 compared to k29745 at 450 to 650.
Edit: I know they arent related, just throwing out some knowledge to help with decision making in materials to look for.
Still you can find vests mass produced like this for pretty cheap compared to a custom price

Viper98 has a few good cheap vests if you need more time to figure out what kind of permanent protection you need.
Last edited by spillanej on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #87526  by spillanej

astro_wanabe wrote:
TexasJay wrote:I just purchased a 600 lumen surefire light from botachtactical.com for my rollout kit. Its freaking amazing. Especially for $65. That coupled with a molle plate carrier, level 3 soft armor, and pistol coupled with an AR/870 I feel very confident in my ability to defend my castle.
All the Level 3 stuff I've seen was hard plate armor like level 4. Level 3A is soft armor.
You can get uhmwpe or ceramic which are standalone level 3a or with a 3a vest they make level 3.
 #87528  by jslacker

spillanej wrote:
Viper98 has a few good cheap vests if you need more time to figure out what kind of permanent protection you need.
Geez, is there anything that guy doesn't sell?! :lol:
 #87529  by TexasJay

I firmly believe in stacking the deck in your favor when protecting yourself. Do I expect rifle or shotgun threats? Nope. Do I need an AR/12 gauge for home protection when I'm probably not going to face the same threat? Nope but I definitely want to have superior firepower to what threat I might be facing. That's why I want as much protection as possible even though I'll probably not face that threat I want to protect against the "what if?".

I will contact Viper98 and see what kind of goods he has while doing some more research.
 #87534  by sanman9781

jslacker wrote:
spillanej wrote:
Geez, is there anything that guy doesn't sell?! :lol:
actually, we need to petition him to put a range in his backyard... :lol:
 #87543  by spillanej

TexasJay wrote:I firmly believe in stacking the deck in your favor when protecting yourself. Do I expect rifle or shotgun threats? Nope. Do I need an AR/12 gauge for home protection when I'm probably not going to face the same threat? Nope but I definitely want to have superior firepower to what threat I might be facing. That's why I want as much protection as possible even though I'll probably not face that threat I want to protect against the "what if?".

I will contact Viper98 and see what kind of goods he has while doing some more research.
I have all always felt putting the money into more training and better types of training to be more important. SEALs and hunters both carry similar rifles, only one group cares more about training. Only one group survives your worst case scenario. To each his own I guess.
 #87544  by cslade454

spillanej wrote:Its more of an official unofficial thing. Im not taking a 26 year sentence because someone else doesnt know the law. They wouldnt keep records, just run a check.

If youre looking for the best quality I can help you, but body armor is a lot more dangerous to the dealer than firearms.
You cant call in a NICS check without first filling out form 4473. It is a serous crime to do so. So what does your FFL put down on lines 26-30, Manufacture of firearm, model of firearm, serial number of firearm, type of firearm, and last caliber of firearm? Congress made it a crime in the Brady bill to use the NICS check for anything other firearms transfers. If an FFL called in a NICS check for body armor he would lose his FFL and many face criminal charges. There is something fishy going on here. Ether there is an FFL that is about to be in a whole lot of trouble or there is not any checks being done.

"They would not keep a record just run a check"An FFL has to keep records of every background check by law. So there is either a crime with a long prison term or someone is not being truthful, which?
 #87559  by TexasJay

spillanej wrote:
TexasJay wrote:I firmly believe in stacking the deck in your favor when protecting yourself. Do I expect rifle or shotgun threats? Nope. Do I need an AR/12 gauge for home protection when I'm probably not going to face the same threat? Nope but I definitely want to have superior firepower to what threat I might be facing. That's why I want as much protection as possible even though I'll probably not face that threat I want to protect against the "what if?".

I have all always felt putting the money into more training and better types of training to be more important. SEALs and hunters both carry similar rifles, only one group cares more about training. Only one group survives your worst case scenario. To each his own I guess.
Do you really think that I think I can buy my survival with better equipment? Negative ghost rider. I have some training, trying to find some better classes and have a sheriffs deputy friend that's been working with me. Equipment coupled with good training equals better chance of survival.