Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #87500  by TexasJay

Perhaps I've misunderstood the ratings on armor. I thought 3A was the level below 4. This would be used as a HD tool. Not going to work in the sandbox or anything like that. Won't be used for work or worn for long periods. This would be put on while investigating bumps in the night.

Since it wouldn't be worn for long periods I'm fine with some extra weight even for a little bit more protection. The only reason it'd be used for long periods is if SHTF and I need to bug out ex. Zombie apocalypse, Russian/Chinese invaders, extreme civil unrest/riots etc. Low risk of needing to wear it for long periods.
 #87502  by brich2929

I bought an MSA Ballistic helmet last week from Botach Tactical's eBay store, not sure if they still have that deal going but just got it delivered yesterday and it is a great piece. Lists for nearly $500 and I paid about $150.

Also for when SHTF. I hope I never need it but it's a start to my armor anyhow.
 #87504  by TexasJay

To respond to spillanej's recommendation about extra weight vs protection, my HD gun is going to be either an AR or my 870 12 gauge. I'm looking to do a setup similar to myopicvisionary's in his thread "rollout kit". Handgun in a holster on a molle carrier as a backup gun.
 #87505  by myopicvisionary

The 1911 in my rollout kit is a backup to the Remington 870 that stays at the bedroom. If I have to go downstairs to investigate, the pistol is my primary weapon. The shotgun stays behind in the bedroom with Mary who will cover the staircase. Anyone attempting to climb the stairs other than myself or responding police will be stopped immediately.
 #87509  by Daveman

Www.bullet-proof-vest-shop.com. They sell to civilians and ship to you. I have a friend who has ordered plates and a vest from them. Made in the USA and company is owned by former/retired LEO's....I think that's what I read. They have a lot of videos on YouTube Also. Friends vest and plates were a decent price. Not really expensive. I'll say this,,,,I work @ Walmart with piss poor pay and can afford a decent setup. But I'd actually check up with the laws etc. beforehand.
 #87510  by TexasJay

Yeah since I'm single, I'd be taking my 870 with me. Glock 17 in holster as a backup. Although if I can't get em with 12 rounds of 12 gauge (7 in tube, 1 chambered, 4 in sidesaddle carrier) I think the G17 wouldn't do me much good.
 #87511  by astro_wanabe

When I get around to it my "roll out" kit will have:

AR500 plates w/ extra coating to catch spalling
cheap-o Condor plate carrier / vest
reloads for pistol, AR, and eventually shotgun, so I'll have reloads regardless of gun I use
Main gun will be AR with pistol backup.
BOK / IFAK
Extra flashlight

I figure I'm not wearing this stuff for months on end overseas, so as long as the plate is properly rated and the vest is halfway decent it should work fine without breaking the bank.
 #87513  by TexasJay

I just purchased a 600 lumen surefire light from botachtactical.com for my rollout kit. Its freaking amazing. Especially for $65. That coupled with a molle plate carrier, level 3 soft armor, and pistol coupled with an AR/870 I feel very confident in my ability to defend my castle.